Happy Birthday, Chris

Chris and Steve are making their way through the parking lot. School has just ended, and people are making their way back to their homes or to after school jobs. Some students have practice after school, Steve normally would have swim or basketball practice, but since it was Christine's birthday, he decided to skip.

"Hey, Chrissie! Steve! Wait up." Ronda pants a little as she reaches the couple.

"Hey, Ronnie," Steve replies casually, his bag is slung over his left shoulder. His right hand is free, snaking toward his girlfriend. He recalls the secret that Chris had told him drunkenly last night and has a hard time swallowing the fact that Chris knows something Ronda's been dying to find answers to.

"Happy birthday, Chris." Ronda hugs her, then pulls back in surprise. "Man, you're warm! How are you not hot in that sweater?"

Chris furrows her eyebrows, throwing a look back at Steve. She shakes her head. "I'm a little warm, but really not that bad...I don't know why you both were so surprised by it."

Ronda shrugs it off. "How was your day? Are you free later?"

Steve bobs his head. "I mean, yeah, uh, we—we should be. Dinner at Enzo's and a movie, but it's not pressing," he replies softly, tilting his head downward toward his girlfriend. His chin brushes against the curls on top of her head. She leans against him for a moment and Ronda watches this little exchange, envying their deep bond. She knows that Steve and Chris have not admitted that they love each other yet, but denying it would be stupid. Anyone can see that the two of them are connected in more ways than one and their emotions for each other run deeper than the roots of the oldest tree on this planet.

"I was thinking we could hanging out? If—if you want?" Ronda wonders, staring at Chris.

Chris smiles warmly. "Of course, Ronnie. Are you busy now? What about Nancy and Jonathan? We could all do something? Celebrate for a little bit. Ice cream sounds nice, huh?"

Steve gives Chris a gentle look, shadowing his slight worry. It is not warm enough for ice cream. "Yeah."

"Nancy and Jonathan skipped up—"

Before Ronda says anything else, she catches herself, noticing Chris go tense. Her head tilted, listening. She stands up straight, her hands going tight around the strap of her own school bag. Chris does not move for a moment. She doesn't even breathe. In her head, she hears the howling of wind, like a tornado and the roar of something much more destructive hidden behind the wind. She also hears someone screaming, shouting over and over again. It sounds distant and close all at once. Despite being fairly warm, Chris shivers.

"Go away!"

Chapter Three is very short. Take it as you will.
• Kate