The Keychain

🪼-☀️-🪼-☀️-🪼-☀️-🪼-☀️-🪼-☀️-🪼-☀️-🪼

~

The ratio between shipping costs and the price of the actual product was, as usual, highly disappointing to Juelz. Outside, people were laughing and talking as if they owned the world, a sawing machine ringing from further in the distance. Birds fluttered and crickets chirped, the world was in full swing. But in Juelz's room, it was peaceful. The melancholic melodies of Dare by Gorillaz filled up the otherwise quiet place, releasing sparks of color onto the gray walls. 

Sighing, Juelz clicked the checkout button at the right corner of his laptop. He didn't normally order stuff online, but with Romeo's birthday coming up and a lack of social battery to go out and buy something, he was left with no choice. 

Lola jumped onto the bed, purring loudly as she shoved her ass in between Juelz's face and the laptop. As Juelz shut his laptop, chuckling, Lola injected her sharp nails through the thin fabric of Juelz's black cargo's, kneading his thighs as if he was made out of dough.

"Jesus, are you trying to make me hate you?" Juelz muttered, swatting Lola's paws away with a groan.

But Lola didn't seem to care, her minty green eyes sparkling with innocence. She blinked up at Juelz with a tiny smile -or so he liked to believe- and then hopped from the bed onto the windowsill, graciously curling her tail around her little front paws. 

Juelz smiled, crawling up from underneath the covers. He placed his arms on the windowsill, resting his head on them. The big window next to Juelz's bed looked out onto the unkept side of the front porch, big plants growing into one another through chaotic patterns. If you squinted your eyes, you could see a vague haze of the red-dusted road that connected the entire neighborhood. He enjoyed drawing the view.

Mindlessly stroking Lola's back, Juelz sighed again, his cheeks pressed against his arm. "I don't know why you wanted to go out there... It kinda sucks," he mumbled, watching a little bird pick insects off of a bush.

Lola bopped her head against Juelz's in response, almost as if urging him to go. She sprang up onto two paws, repeatedly hitting the window in an attempt to catch a fly on the other side. Juelz chuckled before dropping himself backward into his bed, sending a few pillows flying. Lola followed after him, jumping right onto Juelz's stomach. He had to suppress a moan through gritted teeth.

She jumped off the bed and made her way to her water bowl, knocking over a pile of comics with her tail in the process. Great. Juelz glanced around his room, watching everything from his upside-down perspective. The gray carpet was freckled with random stains and dirty clothes he had yet to throw in the laundry basket, a few fading posters scattered across the lighter gray wall. Because of the singular window, hidden behind the untamed greenery, it was always a little dark in Juelz's room, even during the midst of the day. 

Shifting his position a bit, Juelz's eyes fell on the wall above his bed. A faded warm-white canvas hung in the middle, portraying the explosive pastel colors of a hand-painted moon jellyfish he had spent hours on. Two vinyls hung above one another on the left side of the canvas, one from Gorillaz, and one from Arctic Monkeys. Around it, he'd stuck dozens of little photos and mini-drawings of jellyfish, sharks, even whales and starfish, and polaroids of him and Romeo, all in corresponding colors. Within those little pictures, you could find a few quoted ones as well. A dark blue, slightly faded, 'I blame society', was his favorite. A little further to the other side, a Melatonin Dreams poster stuck to the wall, his favorite BoyWithUke album.