Chapter XIV - You're not bad yourself

Christian's calm in the face of Liam's protectiveness intrigued me. What was going through his mind? Daring to defy my brother like that—it was reckless. But there was something different about him now, something that made me pause. He was radiating a confidence I hadn't noticed before, like a man who had suddenly come into his own.

"I'm just being a good friend to her," Christian replied, his tone smooth, steady, as if the tension in the air didn't even touch him. Liam's eyes darkened as he approached, the crackling energy between them thickening, but Christian stood his ground, almost too calm, as though he was used to the storm that was brewing.

Liam, however, didn't hesitate. He reached for Christian's hand where it rested on my waist, pulling it away with a forceful motion that startled me. His eyes bored into Christian's, a silent challenge that neither of them voiced but both understood.

I stood between them, caught in the crossfire of their silent standoff, trying to maintain some balance. "Liam, it's nothing," I interjected, attempting to play it off. I even threw in a playful punch to his arm. "No need for the overprotective brother act right now."

His response, though, was far from comforting. Leaning close, his lips brushed my ear, his whisper sending an uneasy shiver down my spine. "Wait until Marcus sees that."

The words echoed in my head, sinking in deeper than I wanted to admit. But I brushed it off, needing to escape the rising tension. I pulled Christian away, guiding him toward a secluded spot by the swings in the yard. As we settled onto the creaking seats, I couldn't help but feel the weight of Liam's cryptic warning still lingering in the back of my mind.

"So many memories here," Christian said softly, his voice tinged with nostalgia as his eyes roamed the familiar space.

I hesitated, unsure of how to begin. How was this so complicated? I wanted to be his friend, but friendship wasn't what he wanted, not anymore. I could feel it in the way he looked at me, the unspoken desire that hung between us like a thick fog.

"Christian," I started, trying to find my footing, "I just wanted to talk. That's why—"

"I know you're seeing Marcus already," he interrupted, his voice steady but edged with something deeper. "I just... I don't think he's good for you."

His words caught me off guard, but the relief that followed was undeniable. He'd brought it up before I had to. "I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, if I gave you hope. My mind's been all over the place," I admitted, feeling the weight lift slightly as I continued. "But I want to be your friend, if that's still a possibility."

He smiled, though there was sadness behind it. "I want to be your friend too, even though you know how I feel. But I'll try to keep my distance. I don't want Marcus to give me hell for it."

I laughed, appreciating his honesty. "I'll make sure he doesn't."

We parted ways after that, the conversation leaving me both lighter and more conflicted. As I headed back inside, I found myself scanning the room, searching for Marcus, but there was no sign of him or Heather. Maybe I was overthinking again, letting my mind run wild. A ridiculous part of me wondered if Heather had bewitched him somehow, luring him away from me with a glance.

As I made my way to the backyard, a cold drink in hand, large, familiar palms covered my eyes from behind. A smirk played at my lips before I even heard his voice.

"Looking for me, K?" Marcus asked, his tone teasing as he turned me to face him, amusement flickering in his eyes.

"Oh, not really," I lied, the smile still tugging at my lips. "Just grabbing a drink."