𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 1

The clang of metal against concrete reverberated through the crumbling structure. Apollo's blade slipped from his grasp and hit the floor with a loud crash. "उह! धत तेरी कि! (Ugh! Damn it!) Why do you always have to do this?!" he yelled in Hindi, his frustration clear as he glared at Ivel, who was leaning against a nearby wall, barely containing her laughter.

Ivel's eyes sparkled with mischief. "'Cuz I like seeing you maddd~" she drawled, her speech slightly slurred. The two friends had stumbled upon these old swords during one of their training sessions from a few years ago. Ivel's weapon was a short dagger, black with purple accents, while Apollo's was a foot-long blade adorned with gold and silver, which he had whimsically named Theo.

Apollo walked over to the corner of the decaying building, where his sword had ended up. This place, left in ruins from a long-past war, now served as their playground. As he picked up the sword, his gaze fell upon a peculiar sight: a single violet hyacinth, its star-shaped florets just beginning to wither, sprouting defiantly from a crack in the concrete.

"Hah! Isn't that ironic?" Apollo said, a touch of wonder in his voice as he examined the flower.

"Ironic? What's ironic?" Ivel asked, approaching him.

"I found a hyacinth!" Apollo replied, almost triumphantly.

"Don't they only grow in cold climates?" Ivel queried, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, and?" Apollo shrugged.

"I'm pretty sure it's sweltering Texas weather out here!" Ivel pointed out.

"So? I'm Indian; I can handle it," Apollo shot back with a grin.

Ivel smacked him playfully on the arm. "Nah, but seriously, I have no idea why there's a hyacinth here."

"Maybe it's a sign that my love life will get better. Like an Apollo and Hyacinthus love story!" Apollo said dramatically. "Hyacinthus was hot. Maybe a big, strong man like him will come along and fix my awful love life."

Ivel rolled her eyes. "Your 'horrible love life' is messed up because of you, not your name, weirdo."

Apollo began to unearth the withered plant, moving aside chunks of broken concrete. "What are you doing?" Ivel asked, her curiosity piqued.

"I'm going to try to save it. Maybe I can bring it back to life," Apollo explained.

"Honestly, I don't even want to think about how stupid that is," Ivel said, shaking her head as she started packing her things.

"I've always wondered," Apollo began, breaking the silence, "why did your mom name you Apollo?"

Ivel hesitated. "Actually, my dad named me. He never said why," she replied, her tone reflecting the sensitivity of the topic. Ivel winced, knowing that Apollo's father was a sore subject for him.

"Right... How about we go to the beach? The sunset should be nice!" Ivel suggested, trying to lighten the mood.

Apollo's face brightened. "Oh, okay!" He eagerly grabbed their bags and swords, heading out with Ivel.

As they walked toward the beach, Apollo chattered excitedly about his plans for the hyacinth. "So, what are you going to do with the hyacinth?" Ivel asked.

"I dunno, but it's my child now," Apollo said with a grin.

"You are such a man-child," Ivel laughed, rolling her eyes.

Apollo gasped dramatically. "I'm turning 16 next week! How dare you call me a child!" They both burst into laughter, their earlier conversation fading into the background.