Chapter One

The soft crunching of the snow could be heard from under the horses hooves as the light chatter of the two women continued even as they patrolled the area. "I just don't get it Natalia!" The girl with the dark hair spoke, her smile could be heard in her voice. "Val, come on, it's not that hard to understand." Natalia spoke with a sigh escaping her slightly pink lips from the cold causing her face to turn a bit red with numbness.

"Jeez... You're impossible. Just talk to him, I'm sure he'll understand why you're so concerned." Valeria's voice was full of worry as the snow crunched under the horses while they made their ways down the hill. "He won't, you don't know him like I do... he's just an asshole. I'm not going to get back with him this time!" Natalia sighed, her voice full of determination as she held her fist up in the air.

A slight chuckle of amusement escaped Valeria as she shook her head with disbelief. "You're such an idiot, y'know that? Don't come crying to me when you're begging for him to take you back, again." Valeria spoke in a hushed voice as she let her eyes roll slightly in disappointment. It was always like this with Natalia. Always saying she won't get back with her ex and then she's crying to Valeria about how she misses him so much, it's funny honestly.

A groan could be heard from Natalia as she rolled her eyes. "It won't be like that, Val! Believe me, I don't want anything to do with him." Natalia uttered in a defensive voice as she just looked away from Valeria like a stubborn child. "Right, just don't get hurt... again..." Valeria stated letting out a disappointed sigh as the pair made their way down the hill and towards the city, Jackson.

It was a cold day in Jackson as the snow didn't stop falling against the ground covering the dirt paths in the small city in which everyone knew or knew of each other. The distinct chatter of the people, working or just socializing with their friends. It was all normal.

Valeria and Natalia waved up at the workers which were operating the gate. "Open the gate!" One of the workers shouted and the gate began to open up allowing the pair to walk inside. "Hey Val." Another woman exclaimed to her. "Oh- Maria!" Val said with excitement filling her voice as she hopped off of her horse, cupid letting the stable workers take her.

"How were things out there?" Maria asked with a concerned and curious tone in her voice. "Hm, they weren't bad, only two infected. Oh, oh there was this really cute bunny that blended in with the snow. It was pretty cool!" Valeria chatted on and on about how patrol was to Maria, who was basically her mother figure. "Val, I'm gonna head home, come over later?" Natalia said putting a hand on Valeria's shoulder and a nod of Valeria's head was the only response needed before Natalia walked away.

"Is Tommy back yet?" Valeria wondered as she locked eyes with Maria. "No, not yet... I'm a bit worried, him and Joel should be back already..." Maria spoke about her worries as Maria had her arms crossed over her chest while she just stared at the gate waiting for Tommy and Joel to come in. "I can go back out... Do you think something happened?" Valeria asked, her voice now full of worry as she looked up at her motherly figure and nervously waited for her answer.

Maria just shook her head before looking away from the gate. "No, no. Come on, let's go home, you can help me make dinner tonight. What do you think we should have?" Maria asked Valeria, a smile forming on her lips as she looked at her. "Ooo! Let's make your spaghetti and meatballs, that's my favorite!" Valeria said with pure excitement causing a chuckle to come from Maria as she nodded her head. "Alright." Maria said as the two started to walk home.

It had been around an hour or two since they got home, dinner was nice and hot. Valeria was eager for Tommy to get back and finally get to see that she helps around the house instead of just sitting on her ass like Tommy had always teased her about. "Maria, shouldn't he be back, like right now?" Valeria asked her, curiosity. "Yeah... he should. Y'know what, I'll be right back." Maria said as she left the house and left Valeria all to her lonesome just waiting for her to come back hopefully with Tommy rather than without.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock at the front door letting out a slight sigh. Valeria walked towards the door and opened it to see Natalia. "You need to come with me... quick. Something happened to Joel and Tommy." Natalia spoke with a hushed and clearly worried tone in her voice as she grabbed Valeria's hand and dragged her down the street towards the infirmary, not even giving Valeria anytime to put on a coat.

"Natalia?! What is going on!" Valeria said in complete confusion as she followed Natalia inside and went towards the front desk. "We're here to see Tommy." Natalia said while Valeria just stood there. All of the voices had been tuned out when she saw Maria nervously tapping her foot against the floor as she waited. "Val, Valeria!" Natalia said, slightly shaking Valeria by her shoulders trying to get her attention."wha- goddamn it what?!"

Valeria practically shouted as Natalia looked into her eyes and let out a sigh. "Something happened to Joel, Tommy, and Ellie." Natalia began explaining. So much was going on and all of this was going too fast for Valeria to process. Tommy was hurt pretty badly, Joel was in horrible condition and Ellie passed out completely with a bloody nose or something like that... nothing made sense.

It had been hours of standing in the waiting room of the infirmary and Valeria was processing it all. Maria was also trying to make sense of what even happened. They didn't have very many details. Obviously, it was practically a waiting game right now for the pair. What happened to Joel and Tommy? What was Ellie doing there? Who caused this? All of these questions were running through Valeria's mind without stopping and there were no answers yet. So they just waited and waited... no answers.

It had been a day and both Tommy and Ellie were out of the hospital. Joel... he had died so much had happened. Tommy was arguing with Maria again. Valeria just had to live with it as she sat in her bedroom, her back against the door as she held her knees to her chest. Tommy wanted to leave with Ellie to Seattle. He wanted to leave and find the people who killed Joel. Tommy was his brother after all, so it was no surprise. It was also no surprise that Maria said no, of course she would say no who would willingly let their husband leave to find killers?

Another thing that wasn't surprising, he left anyway. Of course he did. He only bothered to leave a note, he didn't even tell Valeria, Maria, or even Ellie who was going to leave with him. Not only that, he tried to get Ellie locked up so that she wouldn't go after him.

So much was happening and Valeria's thoughts were all over the place. She couldn't even get a proper sleep without wondering what happened and the moment Tommy left... that sent her. It was midnight and Valeria was packing a bag. Taking everything she would need to go and get stupid Tommy. Guns, food, water, clothes, medical supplies she was taking everything she could think of.

And so, she left without uttering a single word to Maria or even Natalia. She had left for Seattle.

————

Word count :: 1331

Yayy chapter one is done i hope this was even like just a little bit decent 🙏

Plssss leave feedback and maybe even a vote if you enjoyed it would be greatly appreciated 🤍🤍