If You're James Dean, Then I'm Audrey Hepburn

"Janice, I really don't want to go! Social events aren't really my thing." I complain as she throws another dress at me
"I know. That's exactly why you need to go," she said "Maybe you'll meet the man of your dreams!"

Janice was a big dreamer and I was too but I wasn't so open about it. I stopped believing in love at first sight, (-or love at all) when my ex boyfriend Danny died. It was three years ago and I'm not still hung up over him but getting out there and finding 'the one' doesn't seem like it'll ever happen again. I mean, I've met plenty of guys since Danny but none of them have even sparked my interest.

So I sluggishly got ready in this tight red dress that Janice practically forced me into and straightened my hair. I did my make up in about five minutes seeing as I wore little to no makeup. Janice looked me up and down and squealed like a teenage girl. She quickly shimmied on her own dress and looked at herself in the mirror.

"Time to go man-fishing!" she exclaims
"I thought we agreed you'd quit saying that."
"Um, you agreed. I had my fingers crossed behind my back the entire time."
I roll my eyes and grab her arm, "Let's go before I change my mind."

It was our friend Liam who was throwing the New Year's Eve party we'd be attending tonight. He was 23 and filthy rich, so he threw parties any chance he got. The place was already crowded when we arrived, Liam was hanging out with some friends over by the stairs.

"Should we go say hi?"
"Of course! It's been months since you've even got out of the house."
"Janice! Eleanor!" Liam bellows as he comes over to hug us

I cringe at his use of my first name and hug him back, awkwardly. It wasn't that I didn't want to return the gesture, I'm just so socially awkward that it affects me in more than one way.

"Ellie, Jan, come meet some buddies of mine," Liam said and walked us over "This is Kai, Tony, Ashton, and Trent."
"Hey guys, I'm Janice Aaron and I am a queen. Bow down to me!"
I roll my eyes, trying not to smile
"And this, socially awkward beauty is Eleanor Wellings- and before you ask, no, she is not a British princess. She's just British. She doesn't talk much," Jan says and very loudly whispers "And she's single."

I pretend that I don't hear that little comment and look up at Liam and his friends. Three out of four are listening to Janice, worshiping her like the queen she is, while the remaining one is looking straight at me. And I think that's when my whole world changed. He had bright blue eyes and long black hair. It wasn't actually longer than mine but it sure did suit him. He reminded me a lot of James Dean with the way he dressed.

"You know," I start "You look a little like James Dean."
He straight up laughs, he laughs and looks at me and says "Well, if I'm James Dean, then you're Audrey Hepburn."
I give him a sly smile, "Is that so?"
"That it is," he grins "You're very beautiful, Audrey."
"You're not too bad looking yourself, James." I smile
"So, you're British?" he asks
"Yes."
"How come you don't have an accent?"
I laugh, "I do, it slips sometimes but I was raised in America. I was adopted when I was seven. I never knew my real parents for long. I just knew that they were British."
He shifts uncomfortably, "Sorry."
"Don't be," I smile "You didn't know and it doesn't bug me much anymore."
"So, why aren't you home with your adopti- er, parents?"
"They're home in Michigan," I explained "There weren't any flights this week due to the weather."
"I guess everyone's kinda stuck now. Probably why they all came to this party."
"Yeah, there's usually a lot less people."

We ended up talking the rest of the night, I'd forgotten long ago about Janice or Liam and his buddies. I didn't care at the moment, I was having too much fun with 'James'. He was the first guy to have caught my attention since Danny.

"There you are!" A voice exclaimed, belonging to none other than my best friend
"Ashton! Dude, I've been looking all over for you."

We'd fallen asleep on one of those porch swings in the backyard of Liam's house.