𝙲𝚘𝚗𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚝𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜

We were driving off to Alyssa and Marshall's apartment yet again. This time, I was accompanying Lily, but only because she sort of forced me to come along. We were going to have a little get-together there and Amy was going to join us too. 

I suppose that's the reason I felt a bit uncomfortable.

I knew Amy before any of them, and we were pretty well acquainted. Of course, Ryle probably knew her before I did, but the fact remained that Alyssa, Marshall or Lily had never met this woman. That would make things a bit awkward.

Lily had an intense discussion with her over the phone that very night, and she promptly revealed to her that she was Ryle's ex-wife and Emerson's mom. I was sitting next to her, but I felt like clawing my heart out. What would she think of me now? Could this put a damper to our relationship?

Amy had become one of my very close friends in a very short amount of time, and I was also planning on asking her to come over for poker night, which was going to be held in my house this week.

But now there would always be a sort of barrier between us, and a restraint that I did not want to be there. Why did she have to be Ryle's girlfriend, out of all people? 

I decided I was going to talk to her privately and clear things up, so that the nagging in the back of my head would finally leave me and I could get some well-deserved peace. We pulled into the parking lot and got out, Lily fixing her shirt and running a hand through her hair as she checked her reflection in the car mirror. I found that a bit odd. Lily never paid attention to her appearances, but she seemed to be a bit too self conscious recently.

I would have to ask her about that later.

We knocked on the door and Ryle opened. He eyed me and Lily, making space for us to enter. He seemed to give me a cold hard stare as we came in, but that was really how most of our interactions went, so I didn't bother with it. Alyssa and Marshall were sitting on the couch with Amy, talking animatedly, but their volume decreased when they saw us coming. I took a deep breath.

Let's just get this over with. 

My head still throbbed and my leg had this dull pain refusing to go away because of the accident near the coffee shop, but I forced my mind away from the pain.

"Hi, umm...Mrs. Corrigan?" Amy said, and Alyssa snorted, trying to stifle her laughter. Even I had to suppress a chuckle.

"Lily would be just fine."

"Hi, then, Lily."

***

"And then we just pretended like we didn't know each other and began on a new page." Amy concluded the story of how she and I met. I had thought that this connection between Ryle and Lily might lead to things getting tense between us, but that did not seem to be the case. I was still going to talk to her later, just to make sure.

"That must have been so awkward." Alyssa commented, and Marshall made a funny impression of me holding out my hand to her and making an introduction. Everyone was laughing. Except Ryle. If before his stares were bad, now they looked murderous. If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under.

"I don't think it's that funny." he muttered.

"I remember how she made me take an online quiz she made so we could get to know each other better." I said, and Lily whipped her head around, scowling just as much as Ryle. I thought about what I could have done to invoke her temper, and then realised that maybe she didn't like me giving Amy so much attention. I'm sure if Lily did so with any of her friends, I might get a bit mad too.