Trevor McClintock ventures to Barcelona to see Gaudi

One of Trevor McClintock's great loves is Gaudi architecture and having just returned from Barcelona, this week's post will be all about that. Gaudi was a truly divisive architect, a bit like marmite, people either love his work or hate it. Trevor McClintock is a real fan. The surreal nature of his work is truly captivating and makes really great subject matter for photography and architecture fans.

To give you a bit of background: Antoni Gaudí was born in Reus in 1852 and received his Architectural degree in 1878. From the early beginnings his designs were radically different from those of his contemporaries. He was not so much influenced by other architect's ideas but more by forms of nature. The majority of his work has a really very organic feel. This basic concept of using nature as the primary influences for his creativity is reflected in the use of the natural curved construction stones, twisted iron sculptures, and organic-like shapes - all of which are characteristic traits of his architecture.

A real Trevor McClintock favourite has to be that wacky Casa Batlló with its hallucinogenic façade. Gaudí used colours and shapes found in marine life as inspiration for his creativity in this building. The colours he chose for the front are those found in natural coral. A truly magnificent spectacle.