lxxix. Fearless

Season two, chapter seventy-nine

"Revenge"

THE PASSAGE OF TIME felt sluggish to Thea, who yearned for its swift passage but found it frustratingly slow. The uncertainty of Mun's potential awakening heightened her stress levels beyond reason. Time appeared interminable, as if the world had ground to a halt, leaving her drained. The revelations from Jae-youl only served to compound their growing apprehension about the future.

Despite reservations about the explanations provided by Jae-youl, Thea remained cautious because of his associations with criminals, causing her to suspect that he might have manipulated the information to evade responsibility. Consequently, Thea concluded that he was not to be trusted, regardless of his past friendship with Jun-seo. It was clear that they could not depend on him in any way.

"If we lose Lee Chung-jae, we'll never be able to catch him" Ms. Chu emphasized with a grave tone, she leaned forward with her elbows resting on the table, hands tightly clenched in front of her face "Then, we can't predict how Ma Ju-seok will react" Her eyes moved from a stationary point to the individuals gathered around the table, who seemed to be unsure about the situation

"If all goes well, we'll catch Lee Chung-jae, retrieve the 120 billion won, and even summon Gelly" Hana confidently stated. Ms. Chu acknowledged Hana's declaration with a grave expression, signifying her understanding of the gravity of the situation

"But like the Yung people said, we shouldn't be so rash when Mun is still unconscious" Jeok-bong, his brow furrowed in concern, tried to persuade the team to proceed thoughtfully "Or else, we might..." causing him to bite his lower lip and shiver with apprehension at the possible consequences

"I agree with him. I think it's best to lie low for now" suggested Jangmul in accordance with Jeok-bong's point "Plus, how can we believe Jae-youl? He could've said anything just to flee"

Jun-seo, experiencing turmoil, gnawed on his inner cheek while contemplating the transformation of his once-close friend into a fugitive, caught up in the machinations of Lee Chung-jae, thereby derailing his promising future in youth. His behavior also put Ms. Chu in jeopardy - leading to doubts about his reliability and integrity.

Upon observing Jun-seo's bewildered, disillusioned, and melancholic countenance, Thea reached out and laid a comforting hand on his shoulder, gently soothing it, as he responded with a thankful smile. He then shifted his attention from his sibling to Hana, who was similarly comforting him by patting his back, aware of his previous bond with Jae-youl.

Following a moment of tense quietude, Mo-tak uttered with gravitas, his hands positioned calmly on the table, asserting, "I can do it. That's what Mun always said. We can do it. We need to prove it to him. We need to show him that he doesn't need to protect us and that we can protect him" With a firm nod, he gazed determinedly at each individual within the team, endeavoring to inspire them "I can do it"