𝐱𝐯. long way from home.

❝so much more was said in the unsaid.❞

¤

legs straining as they climbed their way up over the hill once again, the Targaryen sighs, her head tilting momentarily to shoot Alina a glance before she looks away.

she seemd too deep in a conversation with her tracker, a few feet away, that the girl did not wish to disturb either of them. but she was growing restless.

they had to talk about what had happened. it wasn't over. she knew it wasn't.

tilting her head up at the sound of distant talking, she smiles softly at the sight of her friends gathered up around the fire, either standing or resting down on the lenghty grass. she climbs faster to them, pushing the pile of clothes closer to her chest and giggling as Jesper's arms open to welcome her in.

she collides into him, eyes closing in comfort and shoulders dropping once she fully settles there, but the moment of peace quickly slips away as the boy ruffles her hair and she fights her way to pull away.

"asshole." the word is mumbled out in annoyance but her expression remains unchanged; lips pulled into a smile and eyes glistening with amusement. she could never be mad at him for something like that.

he grins wider. "I'm just happy to have you back," he lets out, one eye closing as he nods to himself. "all those fabrics had me intimidated." he confesses, laughing to himself as she only scoffs. she fully doubted it, or she, at least, hoped he was only joking about it.

her gaze drifts down to the fabrics in question before she begrudgingly steps closer to the dancing flames. her face scrunchs up for a moment, hesitation flickering momentarily through it; she didn't want to ruin the wear, she liked it far more than she had admitted and much more than what Kaz had found for them. the waiting stares piercing through her make her swallow the bile in her throat as she tosses them with a sigh.

Alina follows in her action with a relieved smile, she was simply glad to be rid of the weight. she didn't enjoy the life of riches, or she didn't show it at least, it was more the Targaryen's thing than her own, but she wasn't too bothered by it.

she turns to quietly move back to her spot, arms folded over her chest, and her eyes meet Kaz's studying ones. he was staring at her, the way she'd caught him do many, many times before, only now they held something different in them, something she couldn't decipher. she exhales shakily, chest tightening under his gaze.

things had been weird ever since they'd last talked only days ago, when she'd decided to hunt the amplifier down, to find Alina and to fight the war she'd been thrown into by her own magic, by the rights she was born with.

she couldn't tell if he was mad at her, disappointed maybe, or if the emotion burning behind his glare went deeper than that. maybe it was worry for her state, she doubted it, the man would need to care to worry. but that couldn't be it. Kaz Brekker could never care for her the way she did him, he could never rely on her the way she did him.

he could never love her the way she did him. her gaze drifts to the floor and her lashes flutter against her cheek as she blinks the thought away, horrified by it.

"just like him." the voice filters through her ear and her head tilts back to piece the conversation back together.

Alina's face darkens with distate, and her shoes scruff against the grass underneath them as she steps away from the group and towards the growling beast of darkness standing tall above them all.

it was all starting to seem like the last moment they were sharing together, everybody was already packing, too focused on their tasks to really notice. this was her chance. Aeya follows after her, undeterred by the questioning tilt of Kaz's head.