Prelude

It has been ten years since magic first entered the world. From under the Earth's crust, building up like pressure in a bottle, it burst forth. Magic had been sealed away long ago, only being remembered as stories and speculation. Now, it was suddenly back, with all the consequences, good, bad, and in-between, from those same stories and speculation. Dormant genes transformed many creatures, including humans, into what they were always meant to be. Dragons, Unicorns, Demons, Angels, Orcs, and more. They were once ordinary and mundane, now something fantastical. Even hybrids of certain species, a mix of both parents dormant genes, woke up to find themselves as such.

Humans are still adapting, creating environments to study magic and nurture it in those born into a world of magic. Of course, for those who grew up on stories and games about magic and fantasy, this was a dream come true. Many of those in charge took advantage of this, and created The Adventure's Guild. The Guild would act as a combination of police, researchers, and explorers for all things magic. Reception to this organization is mix, to say the least. Some members of the guild often use their position to lord over others. Others take their roles seriously, doing what they can to learn about this new world, no matter what.

One of the most important and controversial new developments, is that of the Underworld. The Underworld is a system of caverns spanning beneath the earth, having its own unique flora and fauna, their numbers rivaling those on the surface. This is where magic was sealed since time immemorial, building up like pressure in a bottle, until it burst. Some have taken to the Underworld, declaring it their new home. The magic of the Underworld, seemed to respond to this, and marked them as its children. Skin with gray pigments, ears that stretched a foot at least and could convey emotion, horns of various shapes and sizes, and eyes and freckles that can glow at will. These are the common signs of someone who called the Underworld home, as well as their children. Most humans are afraid of the Underworld, due to it being soaked in magic for so long that it ignores some of the previously well known laws of the world. Even with the new understanding of magic, the Underworld's magic still manages to be strange. So, those of the Underworld are often discriminated against, most often by The Adventurer's Guild. The Guild often tries to disturb the Underworld in their quest for understanding, and see those who call it home as an obstacle.

Ten years of magic. It is still new and strange. New things are discovered every day. Humans still find a way to hate what they don't fully understand. In other words, the world continued as normal, slowly adjusting to the changes.