Chapter 1 - Disposed

A/N before I start: Hello! There isn't much to say, thank you for reading, first of all. For context purposes, this fic is mostly canon-based but I wanted to incorporate more of a historical, hierarchy-type feel. So, there is more presence of nobility and status (ooh, politics!) than compared to the game, especially in this chapter. This fic also takes place before the traveler awakens from their slumber (maybe 3-5 years ahead?). Anyway, this isn't beta read but I hope you enjoy! (Please tell me if there are any grammatical errors, I'll fix it asap!) 

TW: This chapter has depictions of physical abuse and mentions sexual harassment

You felt pain burst through your skull as you slammed into the cobblestone road. Sitting up with a groan, you clutched your head as a suitcase came flying toward you. Recollecting your senses, you moved to the side to avoid having your head caved in. 

The buckle of the case broke, and it scattered the little clothing you had over the ground. "You are to leave the property at once, or else the Millelith will be called," a voice rang from the large estate.

Plucking the last of your pride and dignity, you stood up slowly, legs trembling slightly. The head maid of the household stood at the entrance, face tight as she watched you collect your belongings. "Where's my money?" You asked. "Even if fired, I need my severance pay."

The head maid said nothing as she turned around, there was no way they would just simply let you off with no pay, were they?

Luckily, she wasn't going to simply leave. She tilted her head inside and gave a shout. There was no sound until a scream was let out and a bag of mora thrown at her face. Her reflexes were quick, catching it before barely colliding with her face. "Severance pay," she said, and tossed the bag at you. 

It landed at your feet, a mercy after having yourself and things rudely thrown out. 

She stared at you before shaking her head and returning back to the building. "Don't ever show up here again, or else you will be dealt with," her voice dripped with venom.

The door closed with a slam, and you were left alone with a small bag of mora, your little belongings, and the north wind blowing into your face. 

How did it get this way?

~*~

It was just another ordinary day, doing menial tasks around the expansive mansion. You were on cleaning duty that day under the west wing. Taking your duster and broom, you and your colleague, Yinqi, began tidying up the hallway. 

Yinqi was a joy to work with, always smiling and staying positive when it was hard. She had a large eyes and an upturned nose. The boring hour was filled with idle chatter and humming. 

The late morning sun poured through the large windows, a choice of the late master to take more inspiration from Fontainian architecture than Liyuean. While extravagant, it was always a pain to clean. You were standing on the tips of your feet to reach as high as you could, you didn't want to drag a ladder from the kitchen just to clean windows. You also didn't want to expose your bottoms to any passerby; you tugged on the hem of your skirt.

It was the young master's decision, one of the only he made when it came to the servants and caretakers of the estate. It was sprung up on the female staff suddenly, a change in uniform. Everyone now had to wear maid uniforms fashioned after Mondstadt maids.

However, it was a short skirt and a very daring low-cut neckline; it looked more like it was fashioned not for cleaning but something else. Most everyone had an inkling that he only changed it after developing some finicky tastes after visiting Mondstadt to gain some stocks in their wine industry. Nobody liked following the new protocol, most wore their previous uniforms unless they were working in the west wing.