𝚃𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙱𝚕𝚞𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

"So what do you want to do for the anniversary, huh?" I asked, settling into the couch and holding a pillow in between my arms.

"I don't want to go outside for dinner and all. Let's just have a cozy day at home." Lily replied, and I scowled.

"At home? That's nothing special."

My eyes fell on the necklace she was wearing, the one with our heart engraved on it. I couldn't help but smile as I looked at it.

"I don't know...wait. There was this coupon I'd brought for a weekend at a spa resort. I mean, it's a bit expensive, but we can go there if you want."

I didn't know what to think about that. But since we didn't have anything else planned, I shrugged. The light in her eyes made me say yes. She looked excited as she waited for my answer.

"I should go packing, then!"

"We're staying there for more than a day?"

"It's a weekend at the resort, Atlas."

That would mean I couldn't go to the restaurant. I'd miss another shift. But I took a deep breath and smiled again. Lily got up and went into our room, half-running. I just sat there, staring blankly at the screen of the TV, my mind somewhere else. I didn't know why this day wasn't feeling special. It felt good last night, when I gifted her that necklace. But now it felt like any other day. That bothered me, and I didn't feel nearly as happy anymore.

Deciding not to dwell on it, I went inside to find Lily putting in a bunch of clothes in a small suitcase. I went to the wardrobe and picked out two pairs of jeans and shirts, but Lily made me take an extra. She put in her makeup kit and whatnot, while I made a call to book a reservation and make sure a slot was open. 

After being done with the booking, I went to take a quick bath, but it took longer than I meant to, because I zoned out. After me, Lily went in. I called Josh and explained the whole thing to him. The spa naturally didn't allow kids, so I was a bit worried, but Lily called Alyssa and she didn't even wait for her to finish before accepting the request. Lily said Ryle could also complete his two to three visits with Emmy during this time. 

Everything was working out, except the enthusiasm I didn't have.

***

We reached the resort around the afternoon, and checked in. The resort was really beautiful, with huge swimming pools and hot tubs. There were many treatment rooms and whatnot, and Lily seemed pretty happy. I didn't know a thing about it all, but I played along because I didn't want to look silly. 

Our room was very comfortable, and I felt like I would just fall asleep as soon as I layed on the bed, but Lily didn't let me. She took me to the balcony where we looked at the view, which was pretty nice.

Then, I told her I wanted to rest for a bit, and she begrudgingly agreed. I wanted to punch myself. Why was I acting so nonchalant?

***

"This is so fun." Lily said, her voice faltering. We were sitting in the hot tub, soaking the warm water and relaxing, with not a soul around us. I just nodded and closed my eyes once again. Lily hugged me a bit tightly, and I tried to squirm out of her grip.

"What's wrong?" she said, her voice having a tinge of hurt in it.

"Nothing."

I didn't want to tell her this was the last thing I wanted to do right now. That would definitely put an end to this vacation of ours, and I didn't want our first anniversary to be a bad memory.