Prologue

-Excerpt from Animus's Diary (7 AS), updated to modern text-

Animus wasn't jealous of Otdra.

In fact, she was better than Otdra.

Sure, Otdra pretty much saved the world and claimed the continent (which she named Pyrrhia, after her first dragonet) from those monkey things, but she wasn't more than your average dragoness.

Animus had magic.

Other dragons had a variety of different abilities, sure, but Animus was different. She'd never met anyone else like her.

She didn't want to. She liked being unique.

Her power was limitless. Anything was possible. She didn't know where it came from, but it didn't matter- Animus was the sole holder of the magic.

But Otdra wasn't her enemy. She was her sister.

Animus accepted her spot as her sister's shadow. Out of the spotlight, despite everyone's knowledge about her magic. For now at least, while everyone was still celebrating the day they'd decided to call the "Scorching".

For now.

Otdra walked over to Animus, who was peeling oranges by the willow tree in their village. Most dragons didn't like fruit- but she was quite fond of it; especially oranges.

"Sister," Otdra said. "I have a request for you."

"Yes?" Animus said, looking up at her. Their language was still rough, and still being fleshed out, so communication was weird. Animus almost preferred the roaring and silence of before, but if they wanted to keep the scavengers at bay, then there was no other choice.

"You see as I'm going to be Queen, correct?" Otdra said.

"Yes?" Animus said.

"And that means I will be in control of everything. I am the leader." Otdra said, a challenging tone to her voice.

"What are you implying?"

"Well, given that you are blessed with magic, I see it fit for you to forfeit it to me." Otdra said.

"What?" Animus, rising to her talons. "And how do you propose that?"

"Simple. You cast a spell to forever forfeit your magic to me. I need to be in full control, in this trying time. Don't you think other dragons would stray their loyalty if their Queen had a contender for influence?"

Animus stewed on this. She understood where her sister was coming from. It'd be much safer for everyone. But her magic also made Animus special. Extraordinary.

Also, what if that magic got to Otdra's head? Animus had an entire life of practicing her magic and keeping it in check- but Otdra didn't. She wouldn't know her limits, or worse- she would know that there weren't even limits to the power.

"I need to think on this," Animus said, bowing and storming away.

"Understood," Otdra said, and flew away.

Animus came to a conclusion.

She would give Otdra power on two conditions.

The first condition was that Animus would split the powers into proportional size. Animus would keep magic that allowed the creation of more magicians through genetics or spells, that were within the realms of reality, and could enchant anything- or anyone- at anytime. This also made sure that if Otdra wasn't capable of handling her magic correctly, Animus would have the power to stop her, and vice versa.