Chapter 1

Leaning against the white bedpost, Kate gasped for air as she felt herself getting closer to satisfaction. Two fingers moved in and out between her legs as she imagined Him doing all this to her. Then her body tensed, and the waves of pleasure that crashed over her brought loud moans to her lips.

The successive lustful contractions finally began to subside, but she still held her own wet, slippery fingers inside her. Eyes closed, she tried to calm herself, then when she felt it's time, she slowly pulled them out. This sent another small wave from her crotch, down her spine, to the back of her neck, which made her shiver, and then she slumped back on the bed, satisfied.

She loved to be pampered, but she loved it even more when He did it to her. Ever since they'd had an affair, she'd thought of nothing but what he was going to do to her. She hadn't been able to concentrate on her work as well as she should have, so she started her mornings like this nowadays to relieve tension. It was the only way she could get through an otherwise unexciting weekday, in case they didn't meet.

She lived in the suburbs, in a small, rented apartment. The living room was furnished in black and white with only a small American kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. She had already bought it furnished, but she had never adapted it to her own style, because she was not really interested in such things. Apart from a childhood photograph of her and her brother Tom embracing, there were few personal possessions in the apartment. And the only color was a large green fern in the window, which Russell had given her when she moved in. Sometimes she was bitterly aware that, apart from her partner, it was almost the only living thing with which she had any attachment. Which was true until a month ago when she met Him.

After calming down, she pulled herself together, got up and hurried to the bathroom. She showered, then, after putting on her sexy underwear and bra, she put on her jeans and favourite shirt. She brushed her dark, shiny hair and covered the circles under her eyes, caused by stress and fatigue from recurring nightmares with a shade of make-up. The overall impression was of a confident woman, but when she was done, she looked in the mirror and winced.

It filled her with bitterness to see how much his beautiful brown eyes resembled those of her hated father. She hurried back into the room, strapped her holster to her side, and hung her badge on her belt. Finally, she put on her thin coat and headed for the station on the other side of town.

Despite the fine spring weather, which cheered others, she impatiently drummed his fingers on the steering wheel in the morning traffic jam. In her thirties, the pretty homicide detective's life might have seemed enviable to others, but her seriousness and distrust of people made her unpopular with her acquaintances and colleagues. Despite her reserve and aloofness, however, everyone recognized that she was a decent detective.

Kate Wheeler truly loved her job and did her best to put the bad guys behind bars. It took her a long time to get there, but she didn't mind a minute spent trying to achieve the position that mattered most to her. After graduating from the academy, she worked her way up the ranks. She has been a patrol officer, an undercover cop, and in between, she has trained to join the homicide squad, including Detective Russell Williams.

She and the man in his early fifties, had been partners for two years. His red, short hair and neatly trimmed beard - some of it grey - combined with his kindly gaze to create a sympathetic impression. Although his face had more wrinkles than his age would have justified, thanks to his work, it was a good look for him, unlike others. He was one of those men to whom, as they say, time has been good. Always in his pressed shirt and jacket, he looked like the kind of detective who typically appeared on TV series, so he would often get a visiting witness to say, "You're a cop, huh?" before she'd even said a word.

Kate always smiled at this, but she couldn't have been more grateful that fate had brought her to him. She learned a lot from him, but while her partner was able to put all the horrors behind him at the end of the workday, she was mostly unable to stop and just walk out of the station. And that made her a workaholic after a while.