Prologue

"I've never seen someone more incompetent and utterly useless in my life. You're fired and I hope you have a terrible life. Get out!" My boss shouted at me. Well... ex-boss now.

I can't say I'm incredible disappointed, but it still stings every time they ridicule me like that. I've been through several jobs in the past two years, never lasting more than a few months, and each one ends with me screwing up in some way and getting the boot soon after. I am an utter failure who's too clumsy to make a name for myself. 

This most recent screw up was my job as a buss boy for a local restaurant near my house. I was never able to do good in school so I was forced to give up my pursuit at an education and settle down for getting only my GED, which I barely was able to get as well.  I was doing well at this job for a bit, maybe a week or two before things started to really go wrong. I think its when I get comfortable that I start to get clumsy because as I was settling in and nervous, I was really quick with my times and was able to get from table to table rather quickly. But after I got comfortable, I started to forget which plate went to which table and I started dropping drinks and food on the floor and some unfortunate customers.

But, again, I can't say I'm too disappointed because I had a feeling this would happen sooner or later. I've been fired from so many jobs that my therapist started betting on what would be the reason I get fired next. He thought that for this job, it would be that my pen would slip from my hand and accidentally impale someone's big toe. Oddly specific but definitely plausible since it did almost happen once, it was the general foot and not the toe, that's how I got fired from this local bar called "Snapshots".

"Man... I was hopping this one could last a little bit." I huffed tiredly. "There's not anywhere close now that hasn't barred me from setting foot on the property. I already have to get groceries from a town over."

It was true. The restaurant, "Jimmy's" was the only place in my town that hadn't fired me personally or that I've broken something I shouldn't've and been thrown out.

I sighed as a put my key into my door and unlocked it, pushing the door wide and dropping my bag before plopping down on the couch. I buried my face in a pillow to hide myself away from my own embarrassment. One of the few times I'm glad that I'm alone because there wasn't anybody to make fun of me for my screw-ups. My family passed over the years as I was growing up and this house was left to me in the will of my mother since her family owned it. A two story house with a bathroom, living room, kitchen, 3 bedroom house. This is the only way I would ever be able to afford a place to live because if I didn't have this place, I'd barely be able to afford a cardboard box with how terrible of an income I have. I didn't have a girlfriend either because word got around that I tried straightening my ex-girlfriend's hair one time with a straightening iron, but I accidentally held down the clamp too long and burned off a large chunk of her hair. She slapped me for that while crying and ran out, never seen or heard from her since.

Anyways, I laid with my head in the pillow for a few moments when I remembered I forgot to close the door. So, I begrudgingly pushed myself up and waddled over to the door what was preoccupied letting in the cool Autumn breeze. I grabbed the door and closed it before sticking my key in the lock it.

Before I turned the key fully, I heard a knock sound. It was quick and only once, but I'm paranoid enough that it made me stop mid-motion. I retracted my key and took a look through the peephole, keeping a tight grip on the handle.

"Hello?" I asked, hoping for no response. I looked around a little before deciding to open the door more to see if maybe a pinecone or something hit the door on accident.

Thankfully I was right and a pinecone sat just a few inches t the right of my door. I sighed a sigh of relief and fully closed the door, a click sound being made as the lock. "I'm gonna have to talk to my therapist about this..."