Chapter 1

〈Hello, my B. Are you having a joyful day today? I am doing very well.〉

With a gentle smile at the corner of her mouth, she paused in her letter- writing to look out of the window.

Though she had much to say, she kept hesitating, wondering whether she should convey everything.

〈Speaking of which, I heard that a welcome palace party for the Crown Prince, who is recovering at the shrine, is soon to be held. Many people are coming to the shrine, are you one of them?〉

Her letter, filled with countless words held back, was steadily covering the stark white paper.

She vividly remembered what B had said in their last letter exchange.

[Every moment waiting for your letter is filled with anticipation, and I have not had an unhappy day.]

He probably could not imagine how much comfort and solace that affectionate word had brought her.

〈Upon reflection, I felt the same way, B. Every moment waiting for your reply made my heart flutter, as though I alone were greeting an early spring.〉

As the space on the paper diminished, her sense of longing intensified.

〈If I may add a personal wish, I hope to hear from you before it gets too hot. I'll keep this brief.〉

'Yuri Hsien Windsor.'

Thank you for being my penpal, something I've never said before. The accidental arrival of a lost messenger pigeon allowing me to meet you has been one of the few precious blessings in my life. How can I express how you brought color back to my once grey life?

Words she dared not include in the letter. Fearing he might feel burdened, she swallowed the words as her white hand, slightly calloused at the knuckles, wrote the last letter.

"Hoo......."

Holding the paper for the ink to dry, lightly blowing on it a few times, the previously damp letters quickly dried up. She carefully folded it, checking that the ink did not smudge.

"Coo, coo."

The pigeon, waiting by the window, tilted its head as if asking if the reply was ready. Yuri Hsien smiled softly, considering that since the pigeon had pecked all the food from the floor, it might be hinting for more if she needed more time writing.

"Unfortunately, I wrote the letter early today. I'll give you more food next time. So fly away quickly and deliver this letter to my friend B."

Yuri Hsien gently scratched the pigeon's head. The pigeon, as if understanding her words, closed its eyes to enjoy the touch and then stretched out one leg, equipped with a tiny bag to carry the letter.

Yuri Hsien rolled up the palm- sized letter, divided into several sections, and slipped it into the messenger bag.

"You worked hard today."

Coo, coo!

The pigeon cooed vigorously and flew off into the sky. Yuri Hsien watched the direction it vanished in with a warm smile, then closed the window.

At that moment, her face went cold, like a snuffed candle.

Now it was time to wake from her dream and face reality.

"That young count, he's undoubtedly head over heels for me."

"This is the first time in my life I've seen such a massive bouquet. You must take after me. Men are simply dropping dead! Truly befitting the adorable princess of the great Windsor."