Chapter One: His Passing

The early skies of Neuva York seemed dulled. High techno buildings surrounded the skies and flying vehicles passed about, enjoying the life they had left. There, in the sky, high apartments lived Miguel O'Hara, mourning the death of his brother.

Things weren't the same after his brother, Gabriel O'hara, had passed. Their mother, Conchata, had pushed everyone away and drowned herself with harmless memories and photos of her son, her favorite son. In order to keep the balance, Miguel decided to invite his mother over for dinner to talk things out. Surprisingly, she picked up the call and agreed. It had been quite some time since they had talked, even after Conchata had figured out that Miguel was revealed to be spider-man.

As his alarm rang, a hologram appeared beside his bed.

" Good morning, Miguel! "

He'd groan as the hologram stood by him, blinding him. His body rolled the opposite direction of the hologram, only for it to move to the other side of the bed as well.

" God damn it, LYLA.."

He'd mutter, covering his eyes.

" Wake up, Miguel, your mothers coming over, remember? "

LYLA glitched over to his chaotic desk, which was covered in papers, blueprints, maps, and intricate technology projects.

Miguel would sit up, cracking his back as he stretched.

" No, I didn't. "

The sheets created a slithering sound as he dragged himself across the bed. He missed having someone to wake up next to rather than a hologram. He stood up and walked to his bathroom, dimming the lights as he entered.

Just like his bedroom, the rest of his apartment was filled with random notes or tech stuff. It was like he brought his work everywhere he went. Miguel looked at himself in the mirror for a moment. God, he needed to take care of himself..his natural curls were damaged for how much he straightened them, and he had bags under his eyes. His physique was well made, though. His muscularity made it easy for him to be intimidating, and he was well aware of it.

He threw away his shocked up toothbrush and walked back into his bedroom.

" LYLA, give me my schedule. "

He'd order, rummaging through his closet.

" A little ' Please ' and ' Thank you ' would've been nice. "

LYLA mocked as a holographic board was extended. Miguel, on the other hand, glared at her through the mirror.

" Okay, first, we gotta clean this place up. Second is the cooking and third is your guest. "

Miguel slid on his best shirt and combed his hair back.

" That crazy lady better show up.."

Miguel muttered.

" Yeah, but remember Miguel, she's also pretty down. Don't be too hard on her. "

LYLA glitched over to his shoulder. Miguel rolled his eyes. When has he ever been ' too harsh ' on his own mother? In other words, she was harsh to him. Sure, he had his moments, but it was for her safety.

After cleaning himself up, he decided to clean his apartment. Since he was always out in his headquarters and spending many hours capturing and making sure no anomalies got in his way, his apartment was messy in its own way. Papers were everywhere, and everything smelled like coffee. Boxes of opened empanadas were pilling in the trash, and every step he took was a crunch of some broken devices waiting to be fixed.

An angry groan escaped his mouth as he pinched his fingers on his forehead.

" LYLA.."

Out appeared her hologram self, grinning on knowing what he would ask.

" Can we get some cleaning bots in here, I don't have time for this. "

A few clicking sounds later, and a knock on the door was heard. In came the bots and hurriedly cleaned the apartment.

" Sheesh Miguel.. how'd you get the place to be this bad? "

Her hologram self glitched in all parts of the place,noticing how messy his apartment really was.

" I'm spider-man. I don't have time to come home and do whatever.."

There, he stood with his arms crossed and watching as the bots rummaged around.

" I can tell. "

Miguel glanced at her, knowing she was messing with him. As much as he hated to admit it, LYLA was a huge comfort to him. If he ever felt alone, there she was floating beside him. If he ever felt troubled or frustrated, there she was trying to help him. Sure, she was annoying, but that's what made her feel human. He enjoyed her company, and he hated that.

As the hours passed, the bots had fully taken care of everything. It was a strange feeling to see his apartment all clean. He walked around, making sure to take in every step.

" A total transformation! "

LYLA squealed, her fur coat dangling from her shoulders.

" I guess. "

He tried not to be amused by such change, but he just couldn't stop admiring the place.

" We should start on dinner. "

" We? "

Miguel frowned.

" I should start on dinner."

" Yeah, exactly. "

LYLA snickered, following behind him as they walked into the newly cleaned kitchen.