Spring miracles

CHAPTER 1

Back in new jersey, when I was a little girl, I loved life. I lived by the shore so I would always go swimming down at the beach with my mom, zoey and Lexi while my  cousin who was basically a brother to me, garrett, stayed home watching my step dad cook. Sometimes we saw a guy there named Jonah. I only know his name because his best friend who was always with him would always scream his name.

The first second I layed my eyes on him, I was already picturing our wedding day in a huge castle. I was Cinderella and he was Prince Charming. I had birds fluttering their wings behind me holding up the back of my gown. Puppy love- every little girl wants to grow up to feel this moment. I was very sophisticated as a little girl, so that’s what I thought- just a cute little girl with a crush. I looked at him and kept a gaze. I saw him look at me, and for a second I thought I saw his feet sink into the sand, coming closer and closer. I figured I was probably just standing by his pail and shovel and he wanted me to back to back off before I got my germs on them. I was only 9, and he looked around 10 or 11, so I was probably just a girl with coodies to him. But before he actually got me, I was rushed back into the house for dinner. The table was set-white plates with floral linings, paper towels, forks and knives were at each spot. Chicken cutlet, mashed potatoes, turnips and broccoli were set in the middle with large forks and spoons next to each of them so everyone could just take what they wanted. Dinners in my family usually go the same way each night. Zoey, Lexi, and Garret would share their daily adventures. Then it was my turn. I didn't say anything for a minute, i just looked at my mother. "Mom, are fairytales real? Do miracles really happen?" By this point everyone was just staring at me and my mother, waiting for something else to come out of one of our mothes. I was only focused at my mom, who was looking down at the napkin on her lap, trying to think of a response. Than she looked at me, "Sweets, fairytales come true once in a blue moon. The stories-meeting up with someone 10 years later, them coming back for you, it all just sets you up for dissapointment." I knew she was going to say something like that. She was a divorced woman, even though she re-married, she was still somewhat unhappy with what had happened in the past. But, I let what she said sink in, and I believed it. I did everything that my mother did, and believed everything that she did. So if she thought that fairytale love was that unlikely to happen, than I thought that too.