Chapter 5: Jyle

I'm shocked that someone like Everglade would give me her life. I remember the picture of that boy. I must remind her of him. Right when I land, I don't look back and dash down the stairs. I ran all the way home. When I get to my house, my mom isn't home, so I sprint to my room and cry in bed.

5 days later...

I'm walking through the streets of rubble. Since the building collapsed the dead bodies have been reported, but Everglade's isn't on the list, meaning the rescuers haven't discovered her. I go to the spots where she could've fallen. There's no sign of her anywhere. Then, I spot a bush covered in red. When I walk closer I realize it's blood. There's a gap in the middle meaning someone fell there. I study it. There's a piece of paper. I pick it up and read it.

Still fighting for my life. 1940, Grape Vine Street

It's an address. A clue. A new start. Whoever helped her escape the rubble, left this note.

When I read this note, a surge of hope flows through me. All I can do now is follow the clues and hope for a miracle.

Everglade:

I strain to use my eyes, but my vision is blurry. All I remember is falling into a bush. When I open my eyes, I see a figure. It's a young boy, maybe 16 or younger. He's carrying me away from the rubble.

"Leave the note I wrote," I manage to whisper.