Chapter 1

You worried about your friend. After a recent mission went horribly wrong, with Captain John Price being the only survivor, he grew cold and distant from everyone. At first you gave him time, but after a month you decided to try and talk to him.

You knock on the door of his room and when you don't hear an answer you decide to come in.

As you walked into the room, you saw him sipping alcohol straight out the bottle. He looked you up and down.

"You shouldn't be here..." he grumbles coldly, taking another swig of alcohol.

"John, let me stay I just want to talk to you" you tell him closing the door.

He lowers the glass of alcohol, his lips curling up into a slight scowl. He was obviously not in the mood for you right now, yet he couldn't deny the urge to let you in. He motions for you to step inside.

You sit down next to him, "What's going on John?"

He stares at you for a bit without saying anything. Finally he speaks, his voice sounding much quieter than usual. "I lost all my men," he says, "all of them...I was the only one who made it out."

"I know what happened John on your last mission. But you have to find the strength to move on."

He sighs and takes another sip of his drink. "I'm trying, but... it's hard..." He pauses, looking away. "I can't help but think it's my fault, if I had done things differently..."

"You know very well that it was not your fault."

"I know, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with. I'm having troublesleeping, I keep having nightmares about that day. I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this."

"Why didn't you come to talk to me? We always shared everything."

"I didn't want to bother you. You've got your own problems, why should I be bothering you with mine?"

You sigh "You're an idiot."

John frowns for a moment, insulted. Then he smirks slightly. "Yeah I am, aren't I?" rubbing his face with one hand.

You put a hand on his shoulder. "John, you've been through worse, and I know you're stronger than that."

The Captain sighs and sets down his drink, looking away from you. "I know... I'm trying." He turns back to look at you. "I hate feeling like this, it's just that..." He pauses again, before finishing his thought. "... I just feel like a failure."

"First of all, stop drinking" you take the bottle from his hands and place it on the ground.

"I just need time to heal, you know?" he responds with an excuse.

You grab his arm, "Come on let's go for a walk," you lift him a little.

John hesitates for a moment debating internally. Then he finally nods in agreement.

"Okay," he says getting to his feet. "Let's go."

You take him to a pond behind the base hidden in the shrubs of the dense forest.

He follows you silently, his expression still somber but the fresh air of the outdoors seeming to give him some relief from his troubles.

As you two walk up to the edge of the lake, a gentle breeze blows past, rustling the trees and the leaves. John takes a deep breath and gazes at the tranquil lake, his brow now completely smooth and his expression less sullen.

He stares thoughtfully at the water, drinking in the peace it offers. "Y'know, this is a really nice place".

"Nobody knows this place. I discovered it by accident by taking a jog around here."