Prologue: A Love Beyond Worlds

In the heart of a vibrant coastal city, where the rhythm of the waves melds seamlessly with the pulse of urban life, Cyrus Flores emerged as an enigmatic force within the underworld...

In the early days, Cyrus focused focused on humble enterprises - a network of bodegas, restaurants, and clubs. However, it was the rise of the drug trade that catapulted him into the upper echelons of organized crime. Cyrus' keen business acumen and a knack for forming strategic alliances enabled him to control a significant portion of the city's narcotics trade.

One of those alliances he made was to my father through strategic business dealings with the military-industrial complex. My family had ties to the very top, most of us working in the government in some capacity. However, it was me, Lunette Idris, that caught his eye. I was well connected, well spoken, and most importantly for Cyrus, I was at the right hand of the Supreme Overlord.

The first time we met was in a meeting about military weapons and our contracts with other countries. I sat across from him, I was bored out of my mind zoned out when I felt a piercing gaze burning into me. I glanced at him, our eyes meeting only for a moment, and smiled. He chased me and I gave chase. He wouldn't give me up, his persistence and romanticism is what got me in the end. I was proud to call him mine.

Our marriage shook the world of organized crime, reigning in a new order to the city's underground crime rings.

My husband's true identity stayed hidden as I used my connections in the government to supply him with trade routes, potential sting operations, and classified documents. I'm not proud of what I did, but I was in love and I would do anything for him.

When people began to piece together my involvement with the mafia, my life, and my job, everything came crashing down. I was flooded with investigations and paparazzi. My reputation was in tatters, and I had no one to save me from drowning. Just when everything seemed at its worst, someone pulled me back to shore.

Instead of backing off and letting me take the heat, Cyrus exposed his identity to the public risking everything--for me. He backed up my claims of having no involvement and spun a story of a poor wife and her vile husband who was leading two separate lives: one a loving husband and father, the other a twisted mad man feening for power.

We had it all planned out. My husband discretely acquired every major news station and media outlet through shell companies, forcing them to push our narrative, and one day they would catch me leaving the cathedral. They hounded me about my government job, and if I would divorce him. I simply replied, "The Gods do not favor those who break their holy matrimony," furthering the idea that I was but an innocent lamb led to slaughter at the hands of my husband.

This was, however, far from the truth. I fell even harder for him that day, and our marriage was as strong as ever. Our children still make fun of us for how much we love each other.

~~~

Towards the decline of the organized crime wave that gave us our wealth and fame tragedy struck as the Supreme Overlord decided to deploy nuclear weapons on a country as preventative warfare plunging the world into all-out war. Knowing our demise was inevitable we held each other as the bombs dropped all around us shaking the earth violently each time. The only thing I can think to do is bow my head and pray.

"Is this the life the Gods had planned for us?" I question as I hold my husband tightly listening to the bombs drop around us from every angle.

"I don't know, mi cariña," He responds as he clutches me tighter with every violent shake of the earth.

"Maybe in the next life, things will be simple like they were back then..." I whisper, my voice shaking through held-back sobs.

"How will I know it's you in our next life?" He inquires, trying to distract me from our impending doom.

"The same way you found me in this life, I'll be wearing yellow, with flowers in my hair, promise you'll find me?" I reply, looking up at him our eyes never parting.

"Of course, mi amor," He says, smiling gently as a singular tear rolls down his cheek.

~~~

So, this is what death feels like. I thought to myself as I fell endlessly into a void, I decided to close my eyes and accept my fate, and as I did, I heard a voice calling out to me. It says, "Lunette, do not repeat your mistakes, but do not fear them either; for either way, you are loved."

When I open my eyes again, I'm lying in a bed in a shack, 'I'm alone again' I sigh to myself. Then the door busts open and slams shut simultaneously rattling the small building.

"Fuck, they're right behind me," A familiar voice exclaims.

"Who's right behind you?" I ask still trying to gauge my surroundings.

"The Pillag- wait, CARIÑA, YOU'RE AWAKE!" The voice proclaims before coming into plain view revealing who it belongs to.

My husband.