A Lesson In Discipline

"That's all for today, we'll pick this back up on Monday", the professor said as he turned the projector off. Haylee's last class of the day had finally reached its end, and the students started to trickle out through the door and into the hall. While most were moving quickly, eager to get along with their day, Haylee however was gathering her things at a much less hurried pace, anxious and concerned for what was to come. She had an appointment with Professor Reeves, from her Psychology II class the day before.

Haylee had always enjoyed learning about psychology. In fact, her high school class was what inspired her to major in it. This semester though, something had just felt wrong. Perhaps it was some form of seasonal depression, or the subject matter itself. Maybe it was that her professor could often come off as a bit intimidating, or some combination of these things. Whatever the cause, she had been finding it difficult to focus as of late, and her grade reflected that. She was uncertain of what to expect from him today, but considering her recent test scores, she knew it wouldn't be good.

Haylee Adler was nineteen and was almost halfway through the second semester of her freshman year of college. Standing at just five foot three inches tall, she possessed a slender frame and delicate features. Her long chestnut brown hair cascaded in soft waves down her shoulders, framing a round face with high cheekbones and deep hazel eyes. Despite being young, she carried herself with grace and maturity beyond her years, often commanding the attention of whatever room she entered, due as much to her appearance as her charisma and warm personality.

Overall, she was an excellent student. She was an avid reader and found that her love of books was an important contributor to her success in many classes. Haylee had a healthy social life with a good group of friends, but always put her schooling first. It was for this reason precisely that she was so worried about what was to come. Nothing like this had ever happened to her before, and she just couldn't get this nervous uncertainty out of her head.

Haylee made her way down the hall, on her way to Professor Reeves' office. She soon found herself in an older wing of the campus, which she had only visited once before during orientation. The area was largely empty, with only the occasional passing figure in the distance. It was just after six in the evening on Friday, and most students had gone home. She finally arrived at the door to his office. Haylee took a deep breath to collect herself and knocked on his door. "Professor Reeves? It's Haylee from Psych II, you wanted to see me," she said, poking her head in through the doorway as it pushed open.

"Yes, please come in Miss Adler," he said, setting down a pen he was writing with as he pushed the document to the side. "Shut the door behind you and take a seat." He gestured to the closer of the two chairs opposite his desk.

Haylee turned to shut the door, hearing a distinct click as it closed. She cautiously approached his desk and sat down as instructed, on the edge of the seat. "I've really enjoyed your class so far this semester Professor Reeves. If I may ask though, what was it you wanted to see me about?" She asked, anxiously hoping for an answer that would put her at ease.

The professor sighed and looked down at his desk. Haylee knew immediately that it wasn't going to be good news. "You're a very bright young lady, Miss Adler. It's for that very reason however that I'm concerned you're losing your focus. I really believe that if you concentrate and work hard here at this school, you'll have an excellent future in this field."

"Professor, I know I've had a tendency to get distracted lately, but I don't think it's much of an issue. This semester has just-"

He cut her off. "I don't need to hear any excuses. When you turned in your paper one week late last month, you got off with a warning. And now, seeing as you have yet to turn in your paper from Monday, there simply has to be further consequences this time."