BROKEN TIES

Warning: this chapter may contain abuse. Reader's discretion is advised.

SKY'S POV

As I hastily bid farewell to the mysterious stranger who had intervened in the chaos of my day, I felt a rush of gratitude mingled with regret. Gratitude for his timely intervention, and regret for not asking for his name or number. But there was no time to dwell on it as my phone buzzed insistently in my pocket.

With a sinking feeling, I saw it was a call from my dad. His voice, laced with anger, sliced through the air like a knife. I knew instantly that trouble awaited me at home. With a muttered thank you to the stranger, I broke into a run, leaving behind the scene of the altercation.

Sliding into my car, I revved the engine and tore off down the street. The wind whipped through my hair as I pushed the speedometer to its limits, desperate to reach home before things spiraled out of control. But even as I drove, my mind was consumed by a whirlwind of thoughts.

Why was my dad so angry? What had I done this time? And why hadn't I asked for that stranger's name or number? I cursed myself for my carelessness, for letting the opportunity slip through my fingers like sand.

As I pulled into the driveway, my heart pounded in my chest like a drumbeat. The sight that greeted me as I entered the house only served to fuel the fire of anxiety burning within me. My dad stood in the living room, his face twisted with rage and the unmistakable scent of alcohol clinging to him like a shroud.

Without a preamble, he launched into a tirade, his words a barrage of insults and accusations. "Where the hell were you?" he bellowed, his voice echoing off the walls. "You're just like your worthless mother, always running off when things get tough."

His words cut deep, slicing through the fragile facade of composure I had managed to maintain. With a surge of anger, I lashed out, my hand connecting with his cheek with a resounding slap. The sound reverberated in the room, mingling with the tension that hung thick between us.

But instead of recoiling, my dad's expression twisted into something even more sinister. With a snarl, he swung his arm, the empty beer bottle in his hand connecting with the side of my head with a sickening thud. Pain exploded behind my eyes as I staggered backward, blood oozing from the gash on my temple.

For a moment, the world spun around me in a dizzying blur. But before I could regain my bearings, the door burst open and Hilda, my younger sister, rushed into the room. Horror etched across her face as she took in the scene before her, her eyes wide with fear and disbelief.

Without a second thought, she rushed to my side, her hands gentle as she tried to staunch the flow of blood from my wound. But my dad wasn't finished yet. With a savage roar, he grabbed her by the arm and flung her away, her small frame crashing against the wall with a sickening thud.

Anger surged within me like a tidal wave, threatening to engulf me in its fury. How dare he lay a hand on her? How dare he lay a hand on any of us? But as I opened my mouth to confront him, my words caught in my throat.

He stood there, a towering figure of rage and resentment, his eyes empty and cold as he stared down at me. It was as if he didn't even see us, as if we were nothing more than insignificant pawns in his twisted game.

Tears blurred my vision as I struggled to make sense of it all. "Have you ever been a father to us?" I choked out, my voice barely more than a whisper. "Or are we just... just burdens for you to bear?"

But there was no answer, only the deafening silence that hung heavy in the air like a suffocating blanket. And as I looked into his eyes, I knew the truth. He would never change. He would never be the father we needed him to be.