Chapter N4-8: Relatives

Is this the right place...?

Date looks out his car's window in a residential area. A large crowd swarms one house in particular, blocking every entrance and exit.

The hell's going on out there?

"They appear to be reporters. Date. Listen closely to what they are saying."

Date lowers his car window and tries to listen.

"Does Aoi know you're not her real parents?"

"How long did you intend to hide this?"

"Why did you hide it in the first place?"

"What happened to Aoi's birth mother?"

"Tell us more about Renji!"

...Yeah. This is the place.

Date rolls up his car window before stepping out of the car. He approaches one of the reporters and taps him on the shoulder.

"Can I help you, sir?" The reporter asks Date.

"Kaname Date, Metropolitan Police Department" Date says, flashing his badge.

"Dammit, who the hell called the cops..." The reporter scoffs. "I mean, go ahead. Lemme help you out, sir." The reporter turns his attention towards the others and shouts. "Ok everyone, cop comin' through! Let him in! Make way!"

People start moving out of the way for the reporter. Date follows behind, eventually making it to the front entrance. Once there, Date turns towards the reporter and glares.

"W-what's wrong?" The reporter asks.

"Appreciate the help, but I'll take it from here" Date tells the reporter. The reporter nods and smiles, but does not move.

"So, what are you waiting for?" The reporter asks.

"You thought if you helped me, I'd let you in with me" Date says, continuing to glare. The reporter flinches before responding.

"How did you-"

"Everyone here is trespassing on private property" Date says. "You're also making too much noise, disrupting the peace, and holding a family hostage. I can overlook all of that, but I can't overlook someone trying to make a fool of me."

The reporter gulps before getting the hint and running away, getting lost in the crowd. Date then turns and rings on the doorbell.

"Please, go away!" A man's voice is heard from the other side.

"Kaname Date, Metropolitan Police Department" Date says, placing his badge on the peephole. The door opens and several reporters start rushing forward. Date instinctively grabs his badge and flashes it to the reporters, stopping them in their tracks.

"...Come in." Date goes inside and closes the door behind him. The man locks it and leads Date to the living room. The man's wife is sitting on a sofa. The man sits next to her and offers Date a seat on the other one. "How can I help you, officer?"

"Are you Aoi Miyake's parents?" Date asks. The man shakes his head and the woman begins to cry. "Relax, I'm not a reporter. I already know about Reiji. I'm not here to ask about him. This is about Aoi. She's been missing since this morning." The woman gasps and the man shakes his head some more.

"Those damn reporters..." The man grumbles. "First they won't leave us alone, and now Aoi's missing because of them!?"

"Her friends tried calling her, but she's not answering" Date adds. "She's not at her home, either. Do you have any idea where she might be?" Date asks. "Is there anything you can tell me that might help us find her? Does she have any favorite places? Any places that mean a lot to her? Anything?"