The Healer and the Hero

Tucked away in the Whispering Woodlands, there lie a sanctuary known to no one- except for Aven, who had kept the secret since she had stumbled upon it when she was mourning her father's passing. It was a place where the earth was exceptionally powerful- plants and animals thrived the magic seeping from the soil making its way into everything that lived there.

Aven had never shared its secret for fear that it could be destroyed, manipulated and changed to utilize the magic that wove its way into everything from a blade of grass to the babbling brook until there was nothing left. She would not share it with anyone.

The sun shone through the canopy of the lush trees above, warming Aven's golden skin and kissing it with freckles as she delicately made her way across the forest floor in the early hours of the morning. Her curly red hair bounced around her as she went, and a basket was hung on the crook of her elbow, destined to be filled with herbs and flowers from the sanctuary. Many of the elves that visited her apothecary remarked how extraordinary her tinctures and remedies worked- they would shop nowhere else.

Only the birds were awake; they were singing a song that only she could hear, and she smiled, breathing in the tranquil air that was so different from the city where she lived. It wasn't that she didn't enjoy living in Thornvale- on the contrary, she couldn't imagine living anywhere else. But when everything got to be too much, and all the voices and people overwhelmed her, she knew she could always retreat to her small corner of the forest for comforts that the city simply couldn't provide.

"Good morning." She said softly, the animals grazing in the grass of the sanctuary looked up- breathing a sigh of relief when they realized it was just Aven, returning to their business without a second thought.

"Everyone is here this morning, my my." She remarked, scratching between the ears of a doe, who rose their head to lean into her touch. "I can't stay for long, friends. I'm just here for a few herbs-"

Her words were stopped short by the sound of shouting, much closer than she would like. The sound of metal on metal reverberated through the woods, causing the animals to perk up in alert, ears twitching towards the forest behind Aven. She debated for a moment, frozen in placing, hoping the sound would move further away.

A man cried out, and the sounds ceased. She continued to wait for a few moments, the forest now blanketed in silence. She debated staying where she was, tending to the animals as if she hadn't heard, but curiosity got the better of her.

Carefully, she treaded the moss covered ground, worried her footsteps would alert whoever caused the commotion to her presence. As she traversed, her eyes darted around, searching for anything unusual. She saw nothing, and was about to turn back, when the sound of a soft groan found her ears.

She looked around frantically, as the sound had seemed close, but saw nothing. Something tugged at the hem of her sage green skirt and she jumped, looking for the culprit.

Leaning against a tree and grasping his ribs was a man, his black hair sweaty and plastered against his forehead. Blood covered his face, and a black eye was beginning to form on his right side. He looked to be an inch from death.

"What happened to you?" Aven asked, lowering herself to brush his hair from his eyes. He looked to her, his other eye half lidded and barely revealing a glint of an amber eye. She moved his hand from his ribs to find a deep gash; someone had stabbed him and left him for dead.

"I was attacked by rogues... I was searching for something. And they just happen to be looking for the same thing as I am." He coughed, blood spraying the air. "I'm afraid I think my search is coming to an end." He tried to laugh, grimacing as the action caused him immense pain.

Aven debated in her head for a moment, fighting with herself. She knew just the herbs that could recover him completely in nearly an instant; but it would risk her divulging the grove. No other herbs in Eldoramar were as potent; it could come into question quickly where she had been able to procure such a remedy. On the other hand, this man was dying. She simply couldn't sit by and watch someone die because of her inaction.

"Wait here. I have something that can help." She finally said, standing and brushing down her skirt.

"I'll be right here. Not like I can go anywhere." He managed a smile, and Aven kicked herself mentally for realizing what she had just said. Without another thought, she raced through the forest, causing small creatures to flee in her wake. She darted through beams of light, making her way back to the sanctuary in a mere minute.

Knowing exactly what she needed, Aven set to work, picking various herbs and flowers, carefully but quickly. She thrust them all into her mortar and pestle, grinding them together as swiftly as she could. She then reached for her discarded pack, rifling around for the potion bottles she always kept on hand. Finally, she found a small phial, and it would do. She rushed over to the stream, gathering the water and pouring it into the pestle, mixing it with the paste of herbs and flowers. It became a thick liquid, which she hurriedly scooped into the phial before making her way back to the man at the tree.

"Drink this." She insisted, thrusting the phial into his hand. He drank deeply, grimacing as he did.

"This tastes fucking awful." He commented, and Aven frowned.

"Perhaps, but it will keep you alive." She replied shortly, pulling his hand from his ribcage. They both watched as the deep wound began to close, leaving an angry red scar.

"How..?" The man asked incredulously, eyes wide. He looked up at her, a mix of confusion and hope filling his features. The eye that had turned purple had already returned to its original state, his gorgeous amber eye piercing hers.

"Don't ask me. I'm not willing to tell you how." Aven replied curtly, tucking the empty phial into a pocket in her skirt. She always made sure to sew pockets into her skirts. The man frowned, but thought better of pressing the matter.

"Can I at least ask your name? I'd like to thank the person who saved my life." He said, pushing his back against the tree behind him to stand. She hesitated, but decided there couldn't be much harm in at least giving him that.

"I'm Aven."

"Zaden. Pleasure to meet you, Aven. And thank you for rescuing me. Now if you don't mind, I must be off." Zaden turned on his heel, gasping a dagger at its hilt on his waist as he walked away from Aven.

"What are you looking for?" Aven pressed, causing Zaden to halt in his tracks, wheeling around.

"A mysterious flower. It's said to have great power. I need it, but there are others who also covet its power. I have narrowed my search to this forest, and I'm determined to find it before they do. So if you don't mind..."

"Let me help." Aven blurted out. Zaden' eyebrows raised in response. "I know this forest better than anyone. If anyone is going to find it, it's going to be me." She stepped towards Zaden cautiously, trying to reassure him with her eyes. She watched as he struggled for a moment, milling over her offer.

"What's the harm? I suppose two pairs of eyes looking is better than one." He resigned, allowing Aven to fall into step with him. "What were you doing out here anyway?" Zaden added, and Aven folded her arms against her chest in discomfort.

"I run an apothecary. I was gathering herbs for my shop." She chose her words carefully.

"That explains things." Zaden chuckled, running a hand through his short beard. "Those skills certainly came in handy back there. You must have people coming from far and wide for your products."

"I do." Aven admitted, her chest bursting with pride. "Many fae claim my Apothecary is the best in all of Thornvale."

"Thornvale, eh?" That's not far from here." Zaden mused, glancing over his shoulder back in the direction where Thornvale was.

"I love that city." Aven sighed, thinking wistfully of the cobblestone streets and the green terracotta homes that crowded themselves along the city streets. "It's so beautiful, especially at night." There were so many trees there, it could almost be a forest itself. At night, it was lit by fireflies that danced in the trees, giving off light so bright it lit the stone below.

"I must admit, it does have quite the charm to it. I've visited on many an occasion."

"Where are you from?" Aven prodded.

"I'm from Illira." He replied, running a hand through his short dark hair. Even though he had just been in grave danger, he somehow seemed to manage to look good, his hair falling in short waves that framed his face perfectly, and the definition of his body apparent even though his fighting leathers. Many daggers graced his waist, as well as two on his back and two on each leg.

"That's nearly across the country." Aven gasped. "What in the hells are you doing all the way out here?"

"I told you, I'm looking for this flower. And that search brought me here. I need to get it, and I need to get it before the rogues that attacked me." He didn't meet Aven's eyes as he said this. What was he hiding?

"Why do you need this flower so badly? What does it do?"

"The flower is said to be able to cure any disease or ailment. I'm not sure what else it does, I just know it can cure my sister, and it is the only thing that can." Zaden said grimly, not meeting Aven's eyes. 

"Your sister?" Aven questioned softly. 

"She's very sick. She will die if I don't get this flower back to her. And there is no other cure, trust me, I've tried. I've consulted the most well renowned healers on the continent. I've consulted every text I could get my hands on. I've exhausted everything... and then I came upon knowledge of this flower. It's largely a myth, but according to the myth it only grows once every hundred years. So this is my only chance to save her."

"I see." Aven replied softly. She was unsure whether to believe the story. It would be incredible if it were true; and certainly this forest had proven to be unusually potent in magic, but she doubted the ability of one flower to cure any ailment in the world. 

They walked in silence for a moment, a feeling of awkwardness humming between the two.

"What information do you have regarding it's location?" Aven asked, finally breaking the silence.

"Supposedly it only grows near a specific waterfall, and the water is the purest in the continent. Directly from glaciers at the mountain. The water is supposed to be the color of the sky. The flower is bright yellow, I have a drawing here." Zaden produced a small, dog-eared piece of parchment from inside his tunic, handing it to Aven. She unfurled it, a drawing of a flower that almost seemed unremarkable on it, next to a waterfall that looked equally unremarkable.

But she knew it. She had seen it many times, due to how much time she spent wandering these woods.

"This way." Aven said, turning east from their position and walking with firm resolve.

"You really do know these woods, don't you?" Zaden chuckled, smiling and rubbing his hands together as he rushed to keep up.

"I do. I just hope these rogues don't know it as well as I do." Aven said darkly.

"How long will it take us to get there?" Zaden asked casually, though his eyes darted around the tree line, likely looking out for the rogues. 

"We can be there by nightfall tomorrow, if we are quick." Aven stated, continuing to walk un-phased as they walked past an impressively large elk with mossy antlers that almost extended to the tree canopy above. 

"Oh. That long, huh?" Zaden breathed heavily, his eyebrows raising. 

"Were you hoping to be home by supper?" Aven jested, prodding Zaden in the ribs gently with her elbow.

"Well no, it's just.. I've already been gone a long time and I'm not sure how long she has left. Every second I'm gone is more time to worry about losing her." Zaden mumbled, eyes focusing on something in the distance but not really seeing it. 

"I understand. I know what it feels like to be scared of losing someone." Aven sympathized, running her hand along the bark of the trees next to her as they walked. "Ever since he died I really haven't been the same. It's something you never truly recover from."

"Who did you lose? If it's not too prying, that is." Zaden asked, watching Aven's crimson curls bounce and glow in the sunlight.

"My father. It was only a few years ago. He got very sick, very fast. None of us saw it coming. Before he died, we ran the shop together.  He was the only family I had left. I won't lie when I say it's been pretty lonely since he left."

Aven frowned, holding back tears at the thought of her father's crooked smile and happy eyes, his curly gray hair and big nose. The way he knew every customer so well and built relationships with them. The way he taught her everything he knew about potions and tinctures and how to provide another service to the clientele of the apothecary; Love and genuine care for them as fae. She remembered how on weekends, they would traverse the forest and find the perfect spot where he could go fishing and she would paint, whiling away the hours together. If only she had found the sanctuary before his death... things would have been different. And that was her biggest regret. 

"I'm sorry for your loss." Zaden said, placing a hand gently on Aven's shoulder. "I'm certain your father was a wonderful man, if your care for nearly dead men in the forest that you don't know is any indication of how you were raised." Aven smiled, placing her hand on top of his on her shoulder, meeting his intense stare.

"He was. The entire town loved him, and he brightened up any room he walked into. I daresay most of the city turned up for his funeral." Aven smiled, remembering how widely her father's legacy was remembered. "He certainly left his mark on the world, and I hope to do the same."

"It's an admirable way to be, Aven. If only everyone felt the way you do about life." Zaden sighed wistfully. 

"So what do you do? For work, I mean." Aven asked as they passed by a small babbling brook, rabbits hopping away as they passed, the sound of  fat frogs perched on lily pads croaking to create a symphony. 

"That's a tough question. I guess you would call me a mercenary. It hasn't really been by choice; I've just happened to take on work across my travels to help my sister, and I send back whatever I can spare for her care. Before that, I dreamed of becoming a sculptor. I had been commissioned a few times before my sister became sick and the work made me so indescribably happy. But of course, I haven't had time to so much as pick up a chisel in years." He swallowed hard, running a hand through his wavy hair.

"I'm sorry that life had led you on a path that wasn't what you desired. I can't imagine what that must be like. I feel so lucky now that I was able to pursue all my passions without worries." Aven muttered.

"Don't be. We have to do the best we can with what we're given, and I'm happy to help others with their troubles for some coin. I'm still doing good, even if it wasn't in the way I had originally hoped."

"So what sort of things have you done in your line of mercenary work?" Aven asked, her curiosity peaked. She plucked some berries from a nearby bush, which she recognized to be raspberries, handing Zaden a handful before popping one into her mouth. 

"Oh, pretty much anything you can think of from chopping wood for kind old women to eradicating a rather nasty wolf from a famer's land. Sometimes its even as simple as escorting someone home, or picking up items they need from town. Thankfully I've not been asked to kill another fae yet."

"Would you?"

"That's a difficult question. It depends on who they are and what they did. If I knew it was going to give me a good shot at saving my sister, it would be hard to decline." He sighed, eyes darting to Aven's to gauge her reaction. "Generally speaking I would probably refuse a typical assassination. I don't think I could stomach ending the life of a defenseless person."

"Neither could I. I don't understand how assassins can even live with themselves. Of course, if it came to saving the life of someone I cared for, it would be an easy choice." Aven agreed, a pit in her stomach causing discomfort. Suddenly, she didn't feel hungry anymore, the berries going sour in her mouth. 

"Everyone is different. While many fae are good natured and kind, there are those who delight in the misery and torment of others. I'm not sure if they are born that way or taught to be so, but I have come across a fair few who would hardly bat an eye about running someone through." Zaden's eyes grew dark at the thought, spitting on the ground. "I've seen some things and met some people I wish I never knew existed."

They walked in silence for a while after that, both pondering the idea of the greatest evil in their world; other fae. 

The sun was beginning to finally set, blinding the two fae as it glinted low between the trees in vibrant shades of red and orange. Eventually they would have to camp; both were growing tired and hungry, Aven's limbs screaming for reprieve from an entire day of walking. 

"How did those rogues know what you've been after?" Aven inquired, looking for signs of nearby water.

"Its a long story. They've been following me for a while. I actually thought I had managed to shake them a while ago. They managed to prove me wrong pretty effectively." Aven stared, not breaking their gaze. Zaden shrunk under the intensity.

"You want to know more. Fine. I made a stupid mistake and let someone overhear me asking too many questions in a tavern one night. I was having dinner with an elderly scholar from the Cerulean Shores, and I guess one of them heard me. They've been chasing me ever since, and I've been kicking myself for not having the discussion in a more private location." He grimaced upon recalling the event.

"Anyone could have made the same mistake." Aven said sympathetically. Zaden glared at her. "All right, perhaps not everyone. But what's done is done. And I'm certain we will get there first, Marisstra permitting." Zaden's brow raised at the mention of Marisstra.

"What, are you shocked that we worship Marisstra? I know she is more integral to the Tide Fae, but she has dug roots deep here on the western shores of Maruvia. It's a long story." Aven explained, encouraging them to finally stop near a small stream, in a clearing surrounded by trees. 

"We can camp here tonight." Aven insisted, setting down her pack. "I didn't bring any supplies, but I can start a fire without them. Sleeping on the ground will be a mite uncomfortable without a bedroll though." 

"Camp? Shouldn't we walk through the night to get there sooner?" Zaden said, his voice full of urgency. He paced around the clearing as Aven found a patch of dirt near the stream that was perfect for setting up a fire. 

"If we push ourselves too hard and crash, we will fall behind. Good rest is imperative to getting there first. We will rise at dawn. We need food and sleep." Aven replied, her voice firm. She stood, stooping at the riverbank to collect stones and sticks for the fire. 

"Fine. But I can't say I won't complain a little. However, I do insist you take my bedroll tonight." Zaden said, placing down his pack with a hefty thump, kicking up a small bit of dust. Aven frowned slightly, but said nothing. She was secretly grateful for his offer; but also felt a pang of remorse that Zaden would have to sleep on the cold, hard ground. 

"Now what to do about food..." Aven pondered. There was the option of trying to catch a fish, or they could hunt for a rabbit. Or, they could do both, Aven decided, noting the bow on Zaden's back. 

"I propose a challenge." Aven said playfully, a glint of excitement in her eyes. Zaden's eyebrows raised in surprise.

"What kind of challenge?" He inquired, tossing a few sticks and stones into a small pile in the spot they had chosen to camp.

"Well, I see you have a bow. I challenge you to hunt for some small game for dinner for us. In the meantime, I'll attempt to catch a fish. Whoever gets dinner first wins." Aven tried to keep her voice casual even as her excitement was building. She greatly enjoyed games and challenges, and it was something she had often done with her father in the past. 

"And what does the winner receive?" Zaden asked mischievously. Aven pondered for a moment.

"The winner doesn't have to make breakfast?" She offered, already setting to work sharpening the end of a stick she found by the riverbank with a small knife she kept in a hilt on her left thigh. 

"I could have thought of some more interesting prizes, but those terms sound fair enough." Aven poked him in the ribs quite a bit harder than the previous time, eliciting a sharp "hey!" from Zaden between fits of laughter.  Aven went back to sharpening the sturdy stick into a spear, sitting as quietly as possible close to the edge of the riverbed.

"What are you doing?" Zaden asked. Aven brought a finger to her lips to shush him. 

"You'll scare the fish." She whispered, Zaden craning his neck to hear. "You're wasting time asking questions and watching me. Fine by me, gives me a better shot at winning." She added, brushing loose bits of wood from the spear before re-sheathing her knife. She leaned over the brook now, watching for any darting movements of fish, ignoring Zaden as he rather loudly stomped off in an attempt to delay her fish-spearing even further. 

It was a long few minutes sitting in silence, the only sound the bubbling of the stream over the rocks as night began to fall over the horizon behind Aven. Exhaustion due to excitement of the day and the time they spent walking began to creep into her bones, causing her to yawn involuntarily. She was almost ready to give up when she finally spotted a glinting in the water; fish scales. The trickiest part of spearing was how the water skewed your vision. She made sure to aim a little bit higher than the glint before extending the spear into the water swiftly and with as much might as she could. She met resistance, the fish waggling hard to fight against the inevitable.

"I caught dinner." Zaden whispered right into Aven's ear, causing her to jump. The spear flew from her hand, the fish still attached and flailing wildly, sending river water flying all over them. It flopped to the ground, spear sticking straight up as the fish continued to flop in the dirt. 

They both stared at each other for a moment before breaking out into raucous laughter, nearly wheezing as the fish finally stopped flopping and the spear fell over,  causing a soft thud as it hit the dirt. 

                                                                                                                *

"Technically I still win." Zaden insisted about a half hour later as they feasted on fish and rabbit, which they had cooked over the fire that was now crackling merrily in the dirt at their feet. 

"Perhaps, but you weren't playing fair." Aven pouted before taking a large bite of fish. 

"There were no rules about playing fair." Zaden stated, and Aven rolled her eyes. "But if you really do insist I can make breakfast tomorrow."

"It's fine. Besides, I am inclined to think I might know a thing or two more about procuring breakfast than you." Aven moped for a moment, but only at the thought of losing. She still enjoyed the competition nonetheless, and they ended up with double the amount of food, which was never a problem. 

"I will admit, food has always been sort of an 'eat what I find' situation. How about you, do you enjoy cooking?" Zaden asking, picking some meat from a bone before tossing it into the fire. 

"I've always loved to cook, but it feels close to alchemy for me. Combining ingredients just right to get the outcome you want. Not only that, but cooking heals people much like alchemy does." Aven mused, tossing the fish skin into the fire as well. "My father taught me everything I knew about alchemy and cooking. I keep a lot of herbs and spices in my kitchen. I can promise you'll never have a dull meal there."

"Is that an invitation?" Zaden prodded, smirking at Aven's flustered face.

"Um, I suppose it is. I wouldn't mind showing you what actual good food tastes like. Once your sister is well, perhaps you could bring her to visit Thornvale. That is, if you want to." Aven said shyly, meeting Zaden's gaze across the fire.

"I'd love that. Natalie would too. Once she isn't bed ridden I'd love to take her all across the continent, get her some fresh air." Zaden swallowed hard, trying to keep his thoughts from straying to the possibility she wouldn't get better. "She always wanted to travel the world. Before she became ill she wanted to be a map maker; travelling the world and charting everything in it."

"Artistry runs in your family, doesn't it?" Aven noted, walking over to the stream and bending down to wash her hands in it.

"I suppose it does, though I had never thought of it that way. My father hasn't been in our lives since Natalie was born. He went off on an important mission for the crown and never returned. It was assumed their ship capsized in a rather nasty storm. Since he died, my mother hasn't been the same. She used to be a baker... but since Natalie has been bed ridden she spends all her time caring for her and for our home and animals. It is by a small grace that some villagers still stop buy to purchase eggs and milk, which keeps them in some money. Still, as I said before I do send back whatever I can. The pain tinctures for Natalie can be quite expensive."

"I don't mean to be insensitive, and please don't feel that you need to tell me, but what is Natalie's ailment? Why is she so sick?" Zaden's face fell, the fire casting deep shadows on his grim face and suddenly he looked almost skeletal with worry and exhaustion plaguing his features. 

"It's not a natural illness by any means. Perhaps calling it an illness isn't even the right term. She's been cursed. The curse is a shadow hanging over her, constantly draining her life force. It is painful and exhausting and it leaves painful welts on her skin, and they have been spreading. It is honestly hard to see her in such a state." A tear rolled down Zaden's cheek, and Aven instinctively brushed it away, her stomach fluttering slightly as her skin met his. 

"Why was she cursed? That is extremely powerful revenge magic. You have to be an incredibly cruel person to do such a thing to someone else." Aven said, balling her fists at her side in anger. She felt awful for Natalie, having seen a few curses herself. She recalled a time in her youth when a desperate man had some seeking aid for a curse at the apothecary and her father had not been able to help, and how much it had broken all their hearts. 

"My mother." Zaden's features twisted, and he looked as though he had just swallowed a combination of something incredibly sour and bitter.

"Your mother? But I thought she-"

"She cares for Natalie out of immense guilt. What she did was unforgiveable and now Natalie suffers the consequences. My mother fell in love with another man, and his wife was not pleased when she found out. Unfortunately for my mother, his wife was one of the most powerful sorceress' on this continent. She didn't take to finding my mother in her bed too well. But instead of inflicting the curse on her, she wanted her to suffer much more. She wanted the guilt to eat my mother alive. So she inflicted the curse on Natalie instead, after killing her own husband. She is a cruel woman, there is no doubt; but that certainly doesn't excuse what my mother did, either. Sometimes I wonder if it was why my father never truly returned, or even why he agreed to accompany the crown on such a dangerous mission in the first place." Zaden studied the dirt between his feet, frowning deeply in disgust.

"I'm sorry. I can't imagine what it must have been like for you all to discover the reason behind Natalie's illness; especially that it could have been prevented. Natalie deserved better out of life. We are going to do that for her, I promise." Aven placed a hand gently on Zaden's shoulder, rubbing it in an offer of comfort. Zaden smiled weakly back at Aven, placing his hand on top of hers on his shoulder and eliciting butterflies in her stomach once more. 

"Tell me about your mother." Zaden insisted, wiping his eyes and changing the subject. 

"Not much to tell, I'm afraid. She is pretty busy most days, so I don't see her too often. We make sure to meet once a month for breakfast, but her and my father never married... she didn't want to raise a child, truth be told. She's a very ambitious woman and I respect her for that. She is one of the most well renowned writers and researchers in the world, so she didn't want to be tied down by something like having a child. I was mostly raised by my father. For my father's sake, she tried with me for a while, but I guess she tired of living a lie and their relationship wasn't worth her giving up what she wanted to do with her life. I don't fault her for it anymore, but it honestly is never the best day when I spend time with her. It always feels like an obligation more than genuine love and care. She's always sent money to help with my care, though. Even now as an adult, she shoves coins into my hand as if I'm some impoverished case she donates money to."

Aven chuckled lightly, recalling the last time they had met at a rather fancy restaurant near the castle in the capital, eating dainty foods that were far from filling; she would have a real breakfast later. At the end her mother always paid and tipped generously and shoved whatever coin she had left into Aven's hands, not accepting any protest on the matter. I think her mother probably convinced herself she didn't need to feel guilty for not really being present in her life if she offered her money and gifts in exchange. It was something Aven had grown to accept over time, rather than feel incredible frustration and anger with her Mother like she had when she was younger. It was more energy than the woman was worth, anyway.

"What a life we have both lived." Zaden remarked grimly. Aven nodded, watching as the fire slowly died down to embers. 

"We should get some rest." Aven said finally, stoking the fire gently with her spear to ensure the flames were low. "The sooner we sleep the sooner we get to the flower." Zaden nodded, tucking his pack under his head before laying down in the dirt across the fire from Aven. Aven pulled the bedroll to her position at the fire before tucking herself inside. 

Despite the thick canvas, Aven eventually found herself shivering. She had been used to much more comfortable encampments when staying outside; her father had often brought a tent and an extra thick bear skin to keep her warm when they were away from home overnight on one of their many fishing trips. Not to mention, she had only dressed to be gone for the day, not a two day travelling excursion. She tried desperately to stop her teeth from clattering, concerned the sound would wake Zaden. She tucked her hands into her armpits, trying to warm them. Frustration grew as she felt concern that the chill would keep her from any thought of sleep.

"Cold?" Zaden asked from across the fire. Aven jumped, not aware he had been awake. 

"Yes." Aven admitted, smiling sheepishly. "How did you know?"

"I can hear your teeth chattering from here. I wouldn't be surprised if you've woken half the forest at this point." Aven listened to rustling as Zaden stood and walked hesitantly over to her side of the fire. "Do you mind? It's the only way I can think of to keep you warm." Aven hesitated before giving in and nodding in agreement. What would her father say about her sharing a bedroll with a strange man? It was already a questionable enough situation. But the alternative was catching frostbite and not sleeping, which was also a rather terrible outcome. Zaden removed his shoes then began to pull off his leathers, down to a loose tunic and underwear.

"What are you doing?" Aven asked, eyes narrowed. If he was trying to act smart and pretend like she had offered more than to allow him to warm her.

"My body heat is not going to transfer through the leathers. Don't flatter yourself." Zaden said, and Aven could feel heat gather in her cheeks. "Less layers means more heat. Move over and let me in." Aven lifted the canvas of the bedroll, allowing him to step in behind her and slide inside. The bedroll was definitely made for only one person, and it was apparent now that it was being shared by two. Aven couldn't recall the last time she had been this close to another person. She could feel his hot breath on her neck, moving baby hairs on her neck as he breathed and causing slight tickles to run down her spine. 

"Is this okay?" He asked, wrapping an arm around her midsection, across her ribs. She swallowed hard and barely uttered a yes, the skin under his arm feeling hot at his touch. He was incredibly warm; the relief from the cold was almost instant now that he was in the bedroll with her. "Your hair is kind of in my face." He sputtered, trying to brush some of her hair out of the way. Aven grasped the length and tucked it under her neck, and Zaden rested his head behind hers, sliding his other arm under her head. 

"There. Now you can get some sleep, little dove." He murmured. Aven didn't respond; sleep was taking her so swiftly her eyes felt as though they had stones weighing them down, the rhythmic breathing from Zaden lulling her into the deepest sleep she had had since her father had passed. 

                                                                                                  *
The next morning, Aven awoke in a daze, utterly confused about why she was sleeping on the ground and who had their hand wrapped around her body. After a panicked moment and some heavy breathing, the previous days events. She breathed deeply, trying to center herself. Zaden was still snoring softly behind her, so she slowly rotated in the bedroll to face him. He muttered in his sleep, but did not wake, so she gently tapped him on the nose.

"Good morning." She whispered, and he groaned, frowning and stretching what little amount the small bedroll would allow. Slowly, his eyes opened, taking in Aven's features for a moment before smiling.

"Morning. Did you sleep better with my body heat?" He asked, gripping her tighter and grazing his fingers along the small of her back, causing her to shudder. 

"Somehow I slept wonderfully." She admitted, causing Zaden to smirk proudly. "We really should get up and moving." 

"As much as I'd love to stay in this tiny, cramped up bedroll with you, I'm inclined to agree." Zaden said, holding up the canvas so Aven could slide out. A pang of something she couldn't place made her heart sink slightly at his remark.

"I'll go find some breakfast, you pack up so we can get moving." Aven stated, not wasting a moment moving gracefully across the dewy grass and towards the forest to the north of them. 

A few minutes later, she returned with various berries in a pouch at her waist as well as a few sizeable citrus fruits from the nearby trees. She handed half of the bounty to Zaden, and they ate as they continued to walk up along the stream towards the waterfall. 

"If we follow this stream, we should be there by sunset." Aven remarked, peeling the citrus before pulling apart the segments and placing the juicy fruit in her mouth. She closed her eyes and reveled in the taste; citrus had to be her favorite fruit. 

"I've got to hand it to you. you're an expert at knowing your bearings. You found that fruit much faster than I would have; not to mention it's delicious." Zaden remarked, popping a handful of berries into his mouth. 

"I know a thing or two." Aven said proudly, peeling the skin off a second fruit as they went. "The advantages to living in one place your entire life and exploring the entire area around it. Not to mention picking herbs has given me a talent for knowing which plants are perfectly ready to pick, whether its an herb, a spice, or a fruit." 

"Sometimes the most simple things can be the most impressive." Zaden agreed.

"So, what will you do once you bring home this flower and save your sister?" Aven asked causally, trying to hide how incredibly nosy she was feeling.

"Honestly, I haven't thought about it too much considering I haven't had much hope for a cure until you came along. For starters, I'd want to take her away from there. She needs to be away from our mother, as conflicting of a choice it may seem. In a perfect world, she will be well enough to return to her work, so who knows if she will want to travel with me, or go her own way."

"And what about you? Will you go back to sculpting?"

"Perhaps... but the city we live in now is much too small to get regular work. I would probably have to relocate to a larger city..." He trailed off, and Aven's heart filled with hope. She secretly thought about how nice it would be for him to move to Thornvale. She was already dreading the time when they would part ways. It had been a long time since she had grown to consider someone a friend so fast. 

"Well, you should absolutely follow your heart. You've been doing this selfless thing for so long, You deserve to take back your life once all of this is over and do what feels right."

"Mmm." Zaden mumbled, deep in thought. Aven didn't prod and left him to his feelings, and they walked in silence for over an hour, enjoying the sights and sounds of the forest.

The day was slightly overcast, the sky a muddled gray. Every now and again a sun spot could be seen peeking through the canopy of the forest, offering small bits of sunlight where bugs gathered in the air. Gentle buzzing of bees soothed Aven's mind as they walked carefully through a field of wildflowers, bunnies and chipmunks scurrying through the grass as they went. She secretly hoped that rain wouldn't come, even though she was beginning to scent it on the air.

The final few hours of walking they talked about nearly everything; from their childhoods, to their favorite books, even their favorite weather. It felt effortless to speak with Zaden for Aven, as natural as breathing air. She was almost sad when they finally spotted the waterfall a mere fifty feet away, the forest already growing dark due to the cloudy sky.

"Finally." Zaden breathed, his eyes wide and watery. His hope was palpable; once they were closer Aven spotted a small gathering of flowers at the base of the waterfall. In the middle sat a small yellow flower that almost seemed to have its own glowing aura despite the darkness.

 "There it is." He nearly broke out into a run at the sight of it, unfurling a piece of canvas to place the flower gently inside. Aven followed him, watching as he gently plucked the flower from the ground. The aura around it remained bright, no sign of wilting despite its removal from the earth. He wrapped it gingerly in the canvas, tying it closed.

"Thank you for securing the flower so wonderfully for us." A cold voice boomed from behind them. Aven whipped around to see three men standing behind them, dressed in black leathers and an impressive amount of weapons strapped to them. They had to be the rogues.

"This flower doesn't belong to you." Aven said, standing between Zaden and the rogues.

"Who said? It's been growing in the forest, which belongs to everyone. So I think we will be having that flower. Hand it over or this time we will make sure you don't survive." The leader pointed to Zaden with the tip of his blade. "Come to think of it, how did you survive?" He asked, eyes narrowed. "Did this little tart happen upon you and dress your wounds? I thought that we cut you so deep you weren't long for this world- the entire forest floor was stained with your blood. So miss- how did you save this bloke?"

"That's none of your business." Aven replied through gritted teeth, dropping her satchel to the ground. The leader gave a hearty chuckle, running a hand through his hair and pacing, knife still pointed towards them.

"Funny, I don't think you're in any position to be denying me information. In case you've forgotten, we outnumber you. And last time we had a run in with your man here, he shouldn't have lived to tell the tale. Barely even put up a fight, he did. Almost as if he had already given up-"

The man stopped short, glancing down at his chest. Directly over his heart, there was a knife.

Aven had pulled the knife from her hilt and flung it directly at his chest. The man gasped, clutching at the knife with both hands.

"I wouldn't remove that if I were you." Aven warned as the other two rogues tried to hide the concern in their eyes. "The second you do, the blood will flow freely, and you'll only die faster." She walked up to the man as he grew pale and sweaty. His companions moved as if to stop her, but shrank back at her approach, and the knife poised to be thrown in Zaden's hand behind her. 

"I would think carefully about your next moves." Aven said darkly, grasping the hilt of the blade in the mans chest, tapping it and eliciting a groan of pain. "He will be dead within a minute, and unfortunately for you there's nothing you can do." Without warning, she removed the knife from the mans chest, and blood spurted out, covering her hands and chest with it. He bobbed his mouth open and closed like a fish out of water, gasping for air before collapsing on the ground, eyes glazed and unblinking. 

"Leave now and perhaps you can avoid the same fate." She said to the two remaining, wiping the blade on her skirt, smearing blood all over it. Rain began to drizzle at first, but turned quickly into a downpour, and they all started at each other as they became increasingly soaked, each daring the other to make the first move. It was so dark now that they could hardly make out one another through the thick rain.

The rogue on the left moved first, and Zaden hurled a knife towards him, but missed because of the suddenness of the move. He launched himself at Zaden, directly past Aven. She leapt onto his back, digging the knife into his neck and piercing an artery. The man cried out, his screams gurgling due to the blood flowing into his throat. He collapsed before he could even each Zaden.

The final rogue produced a bow, shooting Aven in the back as his companion went down, and she screamed in pain, the arrow protruding just under her left shoulder blade. Zaden launched himself at the man, a knife in each hand. He tried to drop his bow in favor for a knife, but it was too late; Zaden was already on him in a flash. He tried to stop Zaden's first knife with his hand, and the blade went clean through. His scream pierced the rain, and Aven fought to stay on her feet as she watched as Zaden thrust his other knife into the mans' ribs, twisting the blade as far as his wrist would allow. The man gave in completely at this point and turned and ran off, and they let him. He would either bleed out and die or barely survive, if he could make it to a town and have his wounds tended. Let him try. 

"They underestimated us." Aven smiled weakly, doubled over in pain. Zaden put a hand on her back concerningly, analyzing the arrow.

"No. They underestimated you. They assumed you were just some helpless woman, and they couldn't have been more wrong." Zaden said, a hint of pride in his voice. "We need to get this arrow out of you. It doesn't look deep; I think it struck bone."

"It certainly feels like it did." Aven grimaced. "There are a few herbs in my satchel, I need to walk you through combining some to put on the wound before we remove it." Even though every part of her was screaming to collapse, she remained standing, breathing rhythmically to try and coax herself through the pain. Zaden hurried to her discarded pack in the grass, fumbling with the latch in the rain. 

"The purple flower and the herb with the thick leaves need to be combined." She wheezed. "I didn't bring my tools, just crush them with a rock on that stone there." She indicated a stone nearby with a small well, already filled with rainwater. Zaden hunted for a small rock on the ground before setting to work crushing the two plants with the rainwater to form a paste. Once it was finished, Aven slowly lowered herself onto the ground, sitting with her back to Zaden.

"You're probably going to have to cut my tunic to get to the wound." She said, and he made a small knick in the fabric before pulling at it with both hands, ripping a large hole around the arrow. "Once the arrow is pulled, put the paste on it quickly. It should stop the bleeding and close the wound within a minute." She breathed slowly, feeling the shaking of her entire body through the breaths. "Don't give me any warning, I-" 

Zaden pulled the arrow sharply from her back and she cried out, grasping handfuls of grass and ripping them from the earth at the feeling of the arrow being pulled from her skin. As quickly as he could, Zaden smeared the paste over the opening, and Aven's back radiated with pain as he rubbed over the wound. She grit her teeth and tears rolled down her cheeks, mixing with the rain beating against her face.

"Thank you." She gasped finally, as the pain slowly began to lessen. It still ached quite powerfully, but thankfully the worst of it began to go now that the arrow was gone. Zaden tossed the arrow to the ground, and Aven gingerly turned to face him. He grasped her hands tightly with his.

"No, thank you. You haven't only saved my life, you've saved Natalia's, too." He said, his eyes darting between hers. A smile that was so genuine graced his features and Aven brushed the wet hair from his eyes, taking in the deep pools of amber that she never wanted to forget. They could part ways any moment now, and she didn't want to forget a single feature of his face...

"It was nothing. I'm happy to have helped. It's what I do, after all." Aven said, flush forming on her cheeks.

"Come. Let's get you out of the rain so you can recover." Zaden insisted, indicating a small cave under the waterfall. He grasped her waist, hoisting her into a standing position and helping her into a sitting position against the cool stone of the cave. The rain sounded even louder in here, even over the waterfall spraying at the cave entrance. 

Zaden took a seat against the wall next to Aven, legs sprawled out in front of them. They both sat in silence for a few minutes, breathing heavily and listening to the rain. 

"I know this is a stupid question to ask, and I'm fairly certain I already know the answer, but I want to ask anyway." Zaden broke the silence, placing his hand on top of Aven's over the cold stone of the cave. "Will you come with me? I could use some help bringing this flower back to Natalia." He looked over to Aven, but she did not meet his gaze.

Her stomach became knotted and her throat felt tight. She wanted nothing more than to go on this adventure with him.

But she couldn't.

"I can't. So many fae in Thornvale are relying on me and my shop. I cannot leave it unattended, and I have no one else that can take my place." Aven said, her voice monotone, even as tears ran down her cheeks.

"That is the answer I was afraid of, but I knew was coming."  Zaden admitted, sighing audibly. 

"Please don't mistake my feelings. I want to come with you more than anything else. It is all I want to do. I can't bear the idea of... of not seeing your sister's joy when you cure her." Aven lied, though she did want to be there for that moment. 

"Of course, I figured with how much you loved curing ailments and helping others that you would want to be there when she was better. After all, she will owe most of her thanks to you." Zaden said, pulling his hand away from Aven's. Instinctively, she grasped it before he could fully pull away, and he looked at her, unable to hide the sadness and confusion on his features.

"I can't let my people down." Aven said, trying to hold back sobs. "This is the hardest choice I fear I've had to make in a long time. Please, promise me you will bring Natalia to visit me once she is well again. My apothecary is on Thistle street, in the southeast corner of Thornvale." Aven pleaded, and Zaden nodded.

"I promise. I will waste no time in bringing her to you. I know she will want to meet you, to thank you herself."

"You should hurry; we have no idea how long she has left, or if the flower's potency will dwindle the longer it has been plucked. I can make it home fine on my own." Aven said, turning her face away from Zaden and staring at the cave wall. She couldn't bear to see him leave. 

Zaden leaned forward and pressed his lips softly to Aven's wet cheek. Her face flushed, and she choked back a sob as he stood.

"I promise you, I will be back as soon as I can. I didn't expect any of... this. Please, Aven, stay safe on your way home. Stick to the shadows. And take my bedroll. I can get another in the next town over, it's not far from here."

Aven didn't respond. She still couldn't look at him; it was all she could do to hold back great, heaving sobs at this point. Finally, Zaden conceded and his footsteps began to retreat from the cave. Once he was gone, Aven finally allowed herself to cry, her chest heaving and eyes and throat growing sore from the effort. She couldn't understand how or why she had grown to feel so strongly about a man she had only known for a few days, but every moment they would be apart would feel agonizing. If she could just get an address, perhaps she could write a letter...

Aven bolted to her feet with a sudden burst of urgency, picking up the bedroll and sprinting from the cave. She could barely see Zaden through the rain; he was at least a hundred feet away now. She called out his name, fighting to be heard over the rain. She began to sprint, her shoulder blade screaming in protest as she pumped her arms in desperation to catch up to him. When she was ten feet away, he finally heard her call, and turned to her. He saw she was sprinting to him and opened his arms, embracing her tightly as she crashed into him.

"I...I couldn't bear to say goodbye, and then I realized if I had your address I could send you a letter-"

Zaden pressed his lips softly to Aven's, the kiss rather wet due to the rain pelting their faces. He cradled her head as they broke apart, Aven frowning despite how wonderfully happy she felt in that moment, knowing how fleeting it was. She pulled their lips together again, putting all of her heart and soul into it, as if she could transfer all that emotion and feeling through their touch. 

"32 Cranberry Lane. That is where you can write to. Can you remember?" Zaden asked, holding her at arm's length. Aven nodded, brushing rain from her eyelashes. "I'll be waiting for you to write." He smiled weakly. "I promise I'll be back before you hardly have time to miss me." He kissed her one last time, first on the lips, then the forehead, gently brushing her bangs from her eyes.

"I miss you already." She whispered as she watched him disappear into the tree line.