Chapter 2

Affaf

The next day I woke up with Api shaking me to wake up so she and shabo can clean the room. I didn't want to but had to so like an obedient sister I got up from bed and went towards the washroom. my brain was still processing what the hell is happening. Splashed water on my face and came to the lounge with my cell phone in my hand, I checked all the notifications and replied to them. As I was about to start scrolling instagram just then my calendar reminded me of my assignment which was due. Having nothing to do I decided to complete all my assignments because I wouldn't be able to do anything next week.

So I went to the kitchen and grabbed my breakfast first which was already on the counter. Then I picked my laptop from my room. And sat on the dining table and started devouring my omelet and paratha.

I am currently in my seventh semester of dietetics and from next week my internship is about to start. I had applied at a few places and I received an email from Shaukat Khanam cancer hospital. I was over the moon when I got that email. It's such an honor for me to work there.

After finishing my breakfast I put the plate in the sink and washed my hands. I came back and sat at a table and opened my laptop to study. Started working on my diet modeling assignment which was about a lacto-vegetarian diet. I completed it and it was lunch time already. I took a break. Taya jan's family was expected to be here by maghrib. So I had time to complete my assignments. Taya jan and tai jan were going to karachi for some days and my cousins; Shehbaz bhai, Tania Bhabi, their cute muchmakin Zain, Saliha, Haadi bhai and my bestie Shafay were coming here to stay with us for week. Shehzad bhai was a lawyer like Taya jan, Shafay was in the Pakistan Army and Haadi bhai was starting his business.

For lunch Zuha ordered pizza since mama, baba and Ruhi Apa were gone to the supermarket and Shaani was at his cafe, Mithas so it was Zuha, Shabo and me. We watched a movie and enjoyed our pizza and shabo's commentary.

"Ayee don't go there, he will kill you" pause "pagal bola b tha na jao ab maro" Zuha and I looked at each other, we enjoyed shabo's comments more than the movie. After a while I decided to resume studying so I got up and went to my room.

I always had a problem with being consistent. I start a thing with all my heart and after a few days I end up losing motivation to complete the task. But I'm working on it, I'm trying to force myself to complete it.

Dismissing my thought I decided to focus on the tasks at hand. I had to revise the digestion and absorption mechanism of all the water soluble vitamins, then I needed to study that article about vitamin A and color blindness and many more.

*****

I looked up at the digital wall clock in our room and it said 3:26. I started studying at twelve-ish something, three hours straight and I was almost done. Mama and Baba were back from grocery shopping. Now they were preparing dinner. I rubbed my eyes and stretched my arms. I needed to use the restroom. I got up still in my trousers and tee-shirt, I opened my closet and grabbed a decent shalwar kameez and got ready since we are expecting some guests, well not guests technically since they are here every week and they live in the same city but still I had to look presentable. Got ready, brushed my hair, braided them and applied a little tint to my cheeks and lips.

Went straight to the kitchen, Mama was in the kitchen I hugged her from behind and asked,

"What is this gorgeous lady making for dinner today?"

Mama smacked my hand and said, " everyone's favorite BIryani," she paused "go check the bedroom if everything is in place"

I sighed and replied with an "okay" before getting out of the kitchen and moving to the guest bedroom.