Chapter 18 | jealousy

It's been a week since Akshara came back from Udaipur, and things have been different. The house is quiet without the usual pranks, fights, and noises. That's what she wanted, right? But she can't shake the feeling that something is missing—Aarohi, Kairav, Ruhi, and especially him.

While washing the dishes, Akshara's phone rings. It's Kriti, "hello Akshu? Ha, beta kaise hai?" Kriti asks. "Haa mami, ha thik hu mein. Aap?" Akshara answers.

(Kriti: "How are you, dear?")
(Akshara: "Yes, aunty, I'm okay. How are you?")

"Khushi ki shaadi ho Rahi hai," Kriti reveals. "Acha! Congrats," Akshara responds.

(Kriti: "Khushi is getting married.")

"Kon hai ladka?" Akshara asks. Kriti hesitates before answering, "Arnav Birla." Akshara's mind races—Arnav Birla, a member of AB companies, and Abhimanyu's cousin. She remembers meeting him at a Hospital event at Birla Hospital. He was the funder. "Hello Akshu?" Kriti asks.

(Akshara: "Who's the guy?")

"Toh tu aarhi haina?" Kriti asks. "Nhi," Akshara says. "Par Akshu—" Kriti tries to reason with her. "Woh tujhse milna chati hai!" Kriti says, hitting the right nerve. Akshara could do anything for the right relationships, especially for the Singhania family.

(Akshara: "So you are coming?")
(Kriti: "She wants to meet you.")

Akshara hums in response and hangs up. "When I'm finally feeling good, when I'm forgetting him, then why? Kanha Ji, why? Kyu kar rahe hai aap mere sath esa?" Akshara tiredly looks up at the sky.

(Akshara: "Why are you doing this with me?")

Akshara sighs heavily. "Guess I have no excuses," she thinks to herself.

•••

"I'm glad you came by the way Kriti, Birla's going to be here with the thal," one of the aunties said. Akshara's mind raced; she wasn't ready to face him. "Why am I feeling so conflicted?" she thought, escaping into a random room.

As she settled down on the bed, a voice spoke from behind her. Startled, she turned around to see Naira, her mother. "Mumma?" Akshara whispered, and Naira nodded. "You-" Akshara started, but Naira cut her off. "My cute daughter has grown. The last time I took you in my arms, you were so small," Naira said, looking at Akshara.

"Mumma, what do I do? I think I hate Abhimanyu, but as much as I want to hate him, I love him," Akshara finally confessed. Naira's eyes softened. "My daughter, back then when I met your father in my college, I had the same feelings. 'I hate him -- as much as I love him,' the same," Naira said.

"So what do I do, Mumma?" Akshara asked. "Follow your heart. When the right time comes around, everything will automatically come together," Naira said, hugging Akshara.

"Meet Abhimanyu, don't get scared." With that naira slowly disappears into dust. Akshara sits on the ground thinking about her mother's advice. "Maybe, I should meet him." Akshara decides.

Voices from downstairs gave Akshara a mental call that the Birla family was here. Akshara looked around to realise this wasn't a random room this was Naira's room.

It looked the same as it looked all those years ago, spotless but nothing touched. Akshara opened the cupboard took out some dresses looked at some of them and decided to wear a pink saree with her hair down.

"You should face everyone akshu, you didn't do anything wrong!" Akshara makes a mental note. With a heavy sigh, Akshara makes her way downstairs.

She saw everyone, from Birla to Goenka. Just not Abhimanyu, looking here and there she accidentally missed a step and was going to fall but a hand held her waist just in time.