A Game Of Favourites

The Mayor always had his few acquaintances. He would always be specific and cautious about who he chose for a specific occasion. Except for one. The Colonel was always around him, always talking to him, helping him, you name it. To the public, this seemed odd, to the two men, this was just a sign of their obvious friendship.

Every "Will, could you help me with this?" or "Will, could you pass me that?" was pure favouritism to the other politicians in the office building. All of them had tried to get into Damien's good books in some way, though none of them compared to William.

The two were always joined at the hip, they even lived together at some point, and yet they deemed each other as 'just a friend'?

-------------

There was a knock at the door. Damien sighed and put his pen down. "Come in." He said, looking up from his paperwork. His assistant, Beatrice, was standing at the door frame with her hands behind her back. "Morning sir." Damien smiled softly. "Good morning dear Beatrice. Any news for today?" 

"None. But I do have something else!" she reveals a bouquet of white roses in her hands. Damien takes them with smile. He looks at the tag on the plastic wrapping. It read:

To my dearest Damien,

I decided to get you a bouquet of your favourite roses. Although I may not be near you right now, these roses do remind me of your beauty. I continued to pass the field of white roses everyday until I finally bought some to send to you. I hope you keep them until their dying days.

Forever yours,

William.

Damien sighed with a smile on his face. "Will do, Colonel." he muttered.

[Word count: 285]