Chapter Six

"Good morning, Emerie," greeted Mera as she entered the empty shop, shaking off the snow from her boots on the boot scraper.

"Mera, hello," Emerie greeted, straightening up. She'd spent the morning hunched over the counter, reading a letter from a friend in Velaris. After hours of practice, a dull ache throbbed down her spine. She stretched, trying to ease the pain, and smiled. "Would you like a cup of tea? I brought some spice back from the Starlight City."

"Yes, please," Mera replied, smiling. Her eyes caught on a small crystal teapot on display. She picked it up, examining it closely. "Is this new?"

Emerie grinned, pulling out a flask and two tea cups. "Yep, bought off a trader from the continent."

Mera placed the teapot back on the shelf, making her way to Emerie. "So, how are the training groups going?"

Emerie poured the tea into the two cups then, after a quick glance around the shop to ensure they were alone, she said, "It's going well, but I'm running out of space. I'm teaching a different group of women every night of the week now. I'm worried we'll get caught."

Mera furrowed her brow, striding to the counter. "Caught? Why?"

"Well, it's not like I'm allowed to do any of this," Emerie shrugged. "Teaching women self-defense and giving them control over their lives again. It's empowering, but it's also dangerous. What if someone gets too bold and attacks their husband or someone? I want these women to be able to defend themselves, but is it worth it if their husbands could kill them and then come after the rest of us?"

Mera pursed her lips and hopped onto the far end of the counter. For a moment, she was grateful Emerie couldn't read her mind. Emerie worried that the training would give the Illyrian women a false sense of confidence before they were fully ready. Mera knew all about that—about that boldness, that false sense of confidence. She'd spent too many nights dealing with anyone who'd discovered the winery or threatened Rhiannon. Mera had her ass handed to her almost as many times as she'd dished out her own justice.

"The offer to use the Estate still stands, Emerie," Mera said, accepting the steaming cup of tea from Emerie. "Rhiannon wants to help."

Emerie shook her head. "As much as I appreciate the offer, the Estate is too far for winged women who can't use their wings. It's just not practical."

Mera sipped her tea, enjoying the warmth that spread through her body, and sighed.

Emerie placed a hand on her friend's shoulder. "You're doing more than enough just by supporting me. And who knows, maybe we'll find a new location soon. One that's closer than Rhiannon's estate."

Mera smiled. "I hope so. I speak for all of the women here when I say that you are changing lives. You're teaching these women to be strong and independent, and that's something that the world needs more of."

Emerie chuckled. "I'm just doing what I can. But thank you for saying that."

Emerie pulled out a box of homemade cookies and offered some to Mera.

"Another gift from the starlight city, yes?" Mera said, biting into a chocolate chip cookie. As much as she hated Velaris, she begrudge Emerie from liking it, not when she had friends in the city.

Emerie winked. "Trade secret. But let's just say I have a friend who bakes as well as I fight."

Mera laughed, trying not to eat too many of the biscuits too quickly.

Emerie took a deep sip of her tea, relishing the soothing warmth as it trickled down her throat. She cleared her throat, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled between her and Mera. "How is Rhiannon doing, by the way?"