Chapter 2

As usual Amelia was on one side of Selby Street. There is a beautiful Dessert willow tree. That willow tree gives her shade all day long. It is about twenty feet tall and was full of flowers. At the foot of that tree, she spread a white canvas cloth and placed her desigh neatly on it. Her mother had done almost all the designs on the surface of the small stones there. There were creations that captured the beauty of nature. Flowers, waterfalls, mountains, rivers, birds, etc... are among them. She took the designs again and placed them infront of the cloth.

While she was doing that, a customer came. He lowered himself on to the canvas and picked up one of the designs. He looked at the design from side to side and then turned back to Amelia.

"What's the price of this design? "

"Two dollars..."

"Two dollars..."

He repeated that.

"These designs have received awards many years ago"

She said with the intention of gaining the customer's sympathy. There was no business the previous day either, So she wanted somehow to get this customer in the mood to buy something.

"Oh ! Two dollar is too much for this tiny stone "

Saying this, he placed the stone which was in his hand, on the canvas cloth and left. She watched him go with despairing eyes. She felt sad.

"Stone is not valuable but, the design on the stone is valuable. "

She muttered to herself and looked across the street. She felt a sense of isolation, as if she were alone in the midst of people rushing around. She is sad that no one is interested in buying her designs.

She sat on the bench which was next to her , with a helpless feeling. As always, that wooden bench supported her weight and became a fixture for her. Even the dessert willow tree is there to keep her under shade. She is in a very nice place on shelby street. It had the ability to make her happy.

"I Couldn't sell anything yesterday"

She mumbled to herself. At the same time, hope appeared in her mind again.

"Some one will come to buy this design"

Thinking like that, she came back to the canvas cloth. She re-arranged the designs again.

Even though the winter season was starting, the sun's rays were gradually increasing the heat. She was feeling tired under the heat. Her whole body was soaked in sweat. She wiped the sweat from her forehead and she went back to the wooden bench and sat down.

"Wow... So beautiful..."

She suddenly turned towards the male voice. A handsome young man stopped by her designs and was looking at them. Seeing that, she felt overjoyed and immediately went to him.

"You draw these pictures?"

Asked the young man with a secret smile.

"Yes, I draw too but, here are mostly my mom's creations."

He looked at her for a moment inquisitively as she spoke. Then he bent down again and picked up another design.

"These all creations are very beautiful. You and your mother have a good ability to create this kind of design on the stone surface in a very delicate manner."

He admired the Stones by turning them from side to side. Amelia's eyes lit up at those words of praise and a happy smile appeared on her face. But at the same time, the young man looked at his watch to see the time and with that started to show a great haste. He placed the stones, which was on his hand on the canvas cloth. Then he took one step backward preparing to leave.