(⁠ㆁ⁠ω⁠ㆁ⁠)

After the intense encounter by the pool, the rest of the day passed in a surreal blur. Bella's infectious laughter and playful teasing helped lighten the mood, but the undercurrent of tension lingered, reminding us of Josh's unsettling presence.

As evening approached, Ethan and I decided to take a walk to clear our heads. The air was crisp and refreshing, the fading light casting a warm glow over the landscape. We strolled hand in hand along a quiet path, the silence between us comfortable and reassuring.

"I can't believe Josh is still trying to interfere in our lives," I murmured, breaking the silence. "It's like he can't accept that we're happy without him."

Ethan squeezed my hand, his expression thoughtful. "People like Josh thrive on control and manipulation. He's not used to losing, especially not to someone like me."

I looked up at Ethan, my heart swelling with gratitude for his unwavering support. "Thank you for being here, Ethan. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Ethan smiled, his eyes softening as he looked down at me. "We'll get through this, Lizz. Together."

As we continued our walk, a sense of calm settled over us. The path led us to a small, secluded park with a serene pond, its surface reflecting the twilight sky. We found a bench and sat down, enjoying the peaceful ambiance.

"Do you think Bella suspects anything about Josh?" I asked, voicing a concern that had been nagging at me.

Ethan shook his head. "Bella's too trusting. She sees the good in everyone, which is one of the reasons we need to protect her. She doesn't know the real Josh, and I don't want her to get hurt."

We sat in silence for a few moments, the gentle rustling of leaves and the distant chirping of birds creating a soothing backdrop. Just as I was beginning to relax, Ethan's phone buzzed with an incoming message.

He pulled it out, his brow furrowing as he read the text. "It's from Bella," he said, his voice tinged with concern. "She wants to meet us at the café in town. She says it's important."

A knot of anxiety tightened in my stomach. "Do you think it's about Josh?"

Ethan shrugged, his expression unreadable. "There's only one way to find out."

With a sense of foreboding, we made our way to the café, the once serene evening now charged with anticipation. The café was a cozy little place with dim lighting and a warm atmosphere, but tonight, it felt heavy with unspoken tension.

Bella was already there, seated at a corner table. She looked up as we entered, her expression a mixture of worry and excitement. We joined her, and she wasted no time getting to the point.

"I know something's been going on," Bella began, her voice steady but urgent. "And I need to tell you both something very important."

Ethan and I exchanged a glance, bracing ourselves for what she was about to reveal.

Bella took a deep breath, her eyes shimmering with a mixture of joy and apprehension. "I'm getting engaged to Josh," she announced, her voice trembling with emotion. "He proposed to me last night, and I said yes. We're planning to get married soon."

The shock hit me like a tidal wave, my heart plummeting as I tried to process her words. Ethan's grip on my hand tightened, his knuckles turning white.

"Bella, are you sure about this?" Ethan asked, his voice calm but edged with concern. "Do you really know him well enough to make such a big decision?"