Masks of Love

THE DISGUISE OF THE NIGHT

7:00 PM. Jade glanced at the time on her phone as she was drumming her fingers on the wheel of her car. She touched the screen of her mobile phone and read the text she received from her mom 20 minutes ago. Get home now. There are people here waiting for you. Get home now Jade! She took a deep sigh before pulling in their driveway.

“Good evening Miss Jade” the concierge greeted her as he opened the door. “Where’s my mom?” Jade coldly asked. The concierge nodded towards the dining hall. Jade could hear the clicking of crystal glasses and laughter filling the air.

She took a deep breathe as she walked towards them. She knew in her gut what this is all about. But still she wasn’t able to feel a bit surprised when she saw the people who are seated in the dining with her mother and father.

“Jade dear, you’re home!” her mother cheerfully cried. “Why don’t you join us for dinner?” gesturing at the seat beside a guy. He was clad in a very formal suit, not something you wear just for a dinner. He’s gorgeous enough to get any girl he would’ve wanted, but to Jade he’s just another stuck up rich kid who is so full of himself.

“Not this again mom!” Jade yelled as she looked among them filled with disgust. “How many times do I have to say no before all of you get it through your thick skulls that I.AM.NOT.MARRYING.HIM!” pointing at the guy who’s smug smile hasn’t left his face.

“Calm down Jade. Hear us out for now.” Mr. Dawson, Jane’s dad coolly said. “Xander, will you kindly escort my daughter to her seat?” he pointed out to the young man wearing a suit.

“Don’t bother standing up Xander. I’m leaving anyways. I don’t have time playing your foolish games” Jade angrily mustered trying hard to keep her cool.

“Well can I talk to you in private then Jade?” Xander asked as he stood up from his seat and walks toward Jade. He held out his hand but she shrugged him and walked out of the dining hall. Xander followed her out, and grabbed her by her wrist. “Please wait” he almost pleadingly said.

“You seem to be a nice guy Xander. But I’m afraid I can’t marry you. I don’t love you. Hell I don’t’ even like you!” Jade told him in an apologetic tone. And without another word she stormed out of their house.

“Darn it!” she screamed as she sped off the highway. “There’s no way I’ll go back there tonight!” she grabbed her phone and dialled her friends’ number.

“Hello?” a girls’ voice echoed from the other end.

“Liz meet me at Tropik Club in 15 minutes.” Jade said and dropped the call before her friend could even protest.

She turned on the radio in her car “And now we give you a song from the hottest German rock band that’s here in the U.S. now. Here’s Ready,Set,Go from Tokio Hotel.”

We were running through the town

Our senses have been drowned

No place we haven’t been before

We learn to live and then

Our freedom came to an end

We have to break down this wall

She turned the volume up to drown her own thoughts as she kept driving.

As she neared the club, she noticed four guys coming out of a black Escalade. She wasn’t able to make out who they were, but by the way the girls were screaming outside the club they must be popular.