Chapter 18 | Involvement

"Alex" Mary hugged him tight. "I didn't know."

"It's okay" he hugged her back. "You're safe with me and that's what matters."

He kissed her and got up.

"I was at your house on my way back" he handed her a bag. "I took some of your things with me. You'll need them."

Mary took the bag and looked at her boyfriend.

"Was my mom back?" She asked. "And how did you get in?"

Alexander giggled and started to unpack the groceries.

"Nobody was in there" he answered. "I used the window to climb inside your room."

The girl got upset. Her mother was gone and she didn't know what was going on with her.

"I think we should report it, Alex" she got up and hugged the man from behind. "It's been almost a week since my mom is gone."

The man sighed.

"She'll be fine" he held her hand. "We can report it if you want though. But go and unpack your things first. You know where the closet is."

Mary grabbed the bag with her things and went inside the bedroom. She opened the closet and noticed that half of it was already full of Casmid's clothes.

"We share a closet?!" she asked loudly.

"Like a couple should" the man suddenly walked up behind her and kissed her shoulder.

***

"How can I help you?" A middle aged police officer asked. Mary looked at Alexander. The man nodded and wrapped his arm around her.

"My mom wasn't home in around a week. I'm worried something bad happened to her."

The policewoman scanned her from head to toe. She turned to Casmid and asked:

"Are you her father or a relative?"

"No" he kissed Mary's head.

The officer rolled her eyes and took a sip of the coffee she had on her desk.

"And how old are you?" She pointed at Mary.

"17" she replied.

The woman's laugh filled the room.

"Then there's nothing I can do for you."

Alexander was shocked.

"And why is that?!"

"It's very simple" she took another sip of her coffee. "She's not 18 yet and you're not her legal guardian. Actually you're lucky I won't arrest you."

"What?!" The man laughed. "Her only legal guardian is missing!"

"That's not my problem" the officer shrugged and took another sip of her coffee.

Mary grabbed Alexander's arm and whispered:

"Let's go, Alex."

"What's your name?" He looked the woman in the eyes.

"Ivona Kirch" she was confused.

"Thank you then" he turned around and left with Mary.

***

The sun was already down for a few hours. Mary was laying down on the sofa under a blanket. Her boyfriend left around two hours before and she was getting worried. She reached for her phone wanting to call him, but just then he opened the door.