IV. It's Time For A Quest

₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊

₊✩‧₊˚౨ৎ˚₊✩‧₊

        TO PUT THINGS NICELY, Adina was not very happy with Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase.

The way Tantalus saw it, the Stymphalian birds had simply been minding their own business in the woods and would not have attacked if Annabeth, Tyson, and Percy hadn't disturbed them with their bad chariot driving.

Percy thought it was completely unfair and told Tantalus so. Well, he told Tantalus to go chase a doughnut, which didn't help his mood.

Tantalus had ordered a special lunch banquet to celebrate Clarisse's chariot victory, featuring country-fried Stymphalian death-bird.

He sentenced Percy, Annabeth, and Tyson to kitchen patrol... which meant scrubbing pots and platters all afternoon in the underground kitchen with the cleaning harpies.

Adina wanted to talk to them. She wanted to understand what she was doing wrong. Annabeth and Percy had been sticking together a lot lately, leaving the oldest of the trio on the outskirts, and Adina was sick of it.

That night at the campfire, Apollo's cabin led the sing-along. They tried to get everybody's spirits up, but it wasn't easy after that afternoon's bird attack. The campers all sat around a semicircle of stone steps, singing halfheartedly and watching the bonfire blaze while the Apollo guys strummed their guitars and picked their lyres.

Adina watched as Percy and Annabeth sat next to each other from her spot beside Katie Gardner.

"Alright, what's going on?" The daughter of Demeter whispered.

"Nothing is going on." Adina answered quickly.

"Yeah right," Katie scoffed, "you've been glaring daggers at Percy all evening."

"I have not."

"You are right now."

Adina quickly averted her gaze from the son of Poseidon. She hadn't realized how hard she was squinting until she let her eyes relax and take in her friends.

The group was singing along to all the standard camp numbers: "Down by the Aegean," "I Am My Own Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandpa," "This Land is Minos's Land."

Lee was smiling with his brothers and sisters as they led the songs. Connor and Travis Stoll were currently fighting over a s'more. Percy and Annabeth looked to be having a quiet conversation on the other side of the bonfire.