5 - Scarlett

'What the fuck did you shoot him for?' she yelled at the soldier in the tower. 'He was trying to help me!'

The metallic railing was so cold it bit at her hands when she grabbed it and leaned over the edge, trying to see. Dante lied in the snow, the other Weres crowding him now. Under their mass, he disappeared out of view and she was left not knowing if he was still alive.

An Alpha in higher form looked up at her, eyes shining from far under her, his fur glistening in the cold sun. It squinted at her, as if to see her better.

'Why are you not shooting him?' she yelled at the tower, the man standing behind the massive crossbow staring at her, wide-eyed.

A strong arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her away from the barrier. She tried to resist it, but her hands were too cold to hold on.

'Let me go,' she complained, punching the man's arm, kicking at his legs.

'Scarlett, you're gonna calm down or I'll have to restrain both your arms and legs, do you understand me?'

Fuck, Fourwings.

'Let me go, you asshole,' she complained, still writhing as he pulled her away easily. How was he so strong? He was meant to be a hundred years old by now.

'Take her,' he said, throwing her into the arms of two waiting soldiers. For some reason, they seemed only too happy to pull cable ties around her wrists.

'What are you tying me up for?' she asked, shocked.

'We're putting you under arrest until we finish our investigation,' Fourwings said, unable to hide the smirk on his face.

'Your investigation of what?'

'Of your collusion with our enemies, of course.'

'My what?'

'Get her into a cell. I'll come down in about an hour.'

'Hey!' she yelled, trying to get his attention, but the two soldiers-who she recognized as Ricardo and Jamie, because the town was so small it was impossible not to know everybody-grabbed her at a ratio of one arm each, and pulled her away. They had to drag her down the stairs, a task that became tedious to them very soon because she wriggled so much it was downright dangerous.

Ricardo, to her left had about enough half-way down. With a hard tug, he pulled her against him and grunted into her face.

'Stay still and walk by yourself or I will throw you down this long flight of stairs and say it was an accident. Jamie will corroborate my story, won't you, Jamie?'

Scarlett felt the other man nod behind her, as he still held one of her arms.

'Well, fuck you, Jamie,' she said, but she walked down the stairs in a normal fashion.

She should be relieved to be home, investigation non-withstanding, but what she felt was uncomfortable. Out of place. Like she had forgotten her glasses.

Except that she wore lenses most of the time.

It was annoying, like an itch she couldn't scratch, and she had no clue why or where it was in the first place.

Once down on the ground, the dirt rubbing under the rubber soles of her boots, they pulled her around to the left, never forgetting to push her along, in the pursuit of getting to the incarceration centre faster, the very last place she wanted to be, ever.

The incarceration center was not called a prison because it wasn't worthy of that name. It was a one level building with a flat roof and a grey exterior which contained a grand total of six cells, most of which remained empty the entire year, probably the reason why it felt so clinical and brand new inside. Well, the building itself wasn't so old. It was one of the few new ones in town.