When fame and fortune reverse

Living in the same boring place my whole life…I didn’t want anything different, I expected to graduate, gain a family, and even die here. I was a rock, a non-moving thing. Yet, all that I thought I knew would soon vanish before my eyes.

         It was 7:00 am as my alarm sounded, a forest with birds, the sound I would soon hear anyways[s2] . I felt that the noise was much nicer then waking up to a horn, or a phone call ring, anything that kept me away from busy civilizations and towns. I didn’t really know where I would go if I had the choice, but I liked being in the quiet and calm Aberdeen then hectic New York City.

         I put the pillow over my ears. I had a pillow with a silly drawing of my favorite band, Sleeping With Sirens[s3] . I always wanted to see a concert of theirs, but never actually intended to. I thought they were not only a good band[s4] , but also good people. It’s not really everyone’s type of Maroon 5 kind of band, or even worse One Direction[s5] .

         I slumped over to the shower turning on Fire by Sleeping With Sirens, my favorite song by them, and jumped in the frosty water. I sang along with the songs messing with my tone until I liked the way the notes layered, or just laughed at them, at times, laughing at how silly I sounded.

         I was wringing out my thick, long, coarse hair, that had suffered from the constant bitter winds of Washington as I looked at myself in the mirror. I had pale skin, but I wasn’t bothered about it to even think about getting one of the orange fake tans like all of the other girls at Aberdeen High, nor did I care for one. I had black eyes and long black eyelashes to go with them. My face never had a natural blush, only when I was extremely embarrassed. I was born Chloe Rain, but I always thought my name was a little strange and didn’t really care for it.

***

         “Are you ready yet, Chloe?” My mom accused.

         “Almost” I shot back.

         “Mmk[s6] , well holler when you are. We have to get going pretty soon.” Mother reminded, with a hint of suspicion in her voice.

         It was 8:45, and I went to the kitchen to gather some pop-tarts for breakfast. That was one of my favorite foods. I had burnt my finger making them, and was sucking on my finger, when my friend dropped by to say their goodbyes.

         “I’ll miss you, Chloe.” My friend Alex said.

         “Same…I don’t even know when I’ll be able to see you again, but I hope it’s soon.” I worried. I didn’t want to say goodbye, but I knew I’d regret it if I didn’t. I didn’t really ever plan on seeing anyone from this old town again, I just decided to Skype at most.

         “Well when are you leaving?” Alex asked curiously fluttering the non-existent eyelashes she always bragged about.

         “30 minutes about…” I replied sheepishly.

         “What! Chloe, I thought you were going to school, Chloe, I wasn’t ready for you to leave!” She moaned.

         “I’m sorry…It’s too late for me to change anything though. I’ll text you tonight.” I said, with sorrow not caring to conceal itself in my voice.

***

         From that moment, I knew that if I were to move I would have to leave everything behind, but I was okay with that. Have you ever felt that feeling where most people are scared of something, but you just find calm in it. It’s almost how I felt. Because when we all get older, I didn’t really plan on keeping in touch with anyone I had known, and I would’ve been just fine.