The Beginnings of the Assassin & the Undercover Agent

BISON

The face staring back at me in the mirror felt like a stranger. I was deathly pale as I clutched my blood-stained hands. My brother called my name again and I shook myself out of the mental stupor.

"I'll be out in a minute bro. Just go ahead, open the cafe!" I half yelled, feeling semi-irritated by the way Fadel always seemed to hover over me every time we just got back from another mission.

It's annoying how he seemed to know that I was still unused to it all despite the countless times I've pulled the trigger. This time though was a little worse. The man fought for his life and managed to clutch my hand with his blood-soaked hands before I pulled the trigger one more time and KO'd the damn drug dealer.

"Are you sure you're alright? You were shaking in the motorcycle," Fadel's clear, masculine voice rang as he called outside the bathroom door.

"I'm sure! just please leave me alone. I need a shower, then I'll be out," this time the barely controlled anger in my voice got out before I could stop it.

After a few beats, I could hear a loud sigh and then the familiar shuffling of my adoptive brother's feet as he walked away.

Immediately got myself under the shower, hoping the icy temperature could shake me out of the dangerous spiral I could tell was oncoming. This life is somehow leaving me feeling so disgusted with myself but also, I know no other way of life.

When I was adopted into Fadel's family at 6, him 8, I immediately started training to be a paid assassin like our adoptive father. Like me, Fadel started at 6 back when he was also newly adopted. We grew up around guns, physical training, violence, and living a double life. Before I knew it, it had turned into the new normal way of life for me.

Now we also inherited the small cafe our father ran until he went off to the Philippines in what he fondly calls finally "my fucking retirement".

The humble business was a good cover for us, in our pretense to be living an ordinary, boring citizen's life. Fadel and I work with 3 other staff to run our cafe from 2 pm to 10 pm. We also stay in the apartment above it.

Money-wise, we're already rich technically. The "side job" pays fucking well and the cafe is not doing badly, but we had to maintain our cover and so we live as ordinarily as possible.

Living normally though is a freaking problem, especially in our dating lives. We can't be careful enough and so mostly, a short affair is all we could manage.

I must have been under the icy cold shower for a while because I could feel myself shivering with cold.

Feeling like my head was finally clearer, I wrapped myself in a thick towel and changed. Going out to greet the rest of the staff, my brother's piercing gaze could cut but I ignored him and proceeded to eat lunch.

Before long, the usual sweet smile on my face was back on as I greeted guests and showed them to a table.

KANT

It's been 10 months to the day I got out of the slammer. Whilst inside I mastered tattooing and decided to pursue it after getting out full time.

You'd wonder what I did to end up in jail, well... my friends and I decided it was smart to raid a supposed-to-be abandoned car garage for some parts we needed for the cars we were trying to upgrade.

We got in trouble and since my best friend Style and I didn't want to leave anyone behind, we got in trouble instead for helping a friend who was injured to get out first. Thus our now impressive record of car theft and said friend not even once visiting us once during the time we served.

So, having been both kicked out of our families for the trouble we caused... I started working as a full-time tattoo artist and Style now works as a mechanic. Before the stupid, immature stunt, we pulled... Style and I were graduating trainees at the police academy and the top students at that.

So listening to this undercover agent now roping us in makes me cringe. I had accepted that the life of a law enforcer was no longer for me. During the endless nights in prison, I cried and bitterly regretted the stupid stunt we pulled. It took a while before I finally felt numb about it.

I'm sure Style felt the same but he had not said anything about it. We were both loyally stupid for thinking that our friends were going to do the same for us but then they had all deserted us after we both got caught.

"Phi, I'm sorry don't talk to me about justice 'cause it's not going to do shit for me and Style. Tell us something we want to hear..." I sharply looked at Officer Burnel, while Style's answering smirk told the officer he wasn't going to convince us with any of his right and wrong talk.

"Alright, how about your records will be expunged and your diplomas from the academy will be issued. You can then apply to the police force after with stellar recommendations from me," Officer Burnel finally relented.

"Now we're talking. We want it in writing though. Phi, we're risking our asses to get these assassins for you. We're not trusting words anymore. Style and I had been there and done that," I finally relaxed enough to smile at the old detective. He seemed caught off guard because his eyes widened.

"Something wrong?" I stared at him.

"You were good-looking before but you shine when you smile. I'm just surprised. No wonder you both are in number 1 and 2 ranking respectively. If anyone will pull this off, it would be both of you. I'll see you tomorrow with the papers and the briefing on the subjects. In the meantime, both of you, don't do anything stupid that will land you in jail before you manage to catch them."

And with that Officer Burnel was suddenly gone, as Style and I just stared at each other wide-eyed, still not believing that we could get a second chance at the bright future we both ruined with one stupid choice.

Author's end notes:

Hey all! Finally going to start this new story.
I hope you'll bookmark this & leave me comments so I can get encouraged to write the story.
Thank you my lovelies!!!