𝟐. 𝑪𝒐𝒅𝒆 𝑺𝟽𝟷

𝐄𝐙 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐓

The Geriatric Emergency Unit is home to the trauma floors at Mount Sinai Hospital. Welcoming all patient types; whether it's alcohol poisoning, strokes, heart attacks, being stabbed, a gunshot wound, or even an innocent baby.

Nurse Chastity Castle has witnessed, assisted, and helped to heal every possible wound in her three years. Her role as a TCRN, required a solutionist's mindset, tough skin, and good running shoes.

"I feel like you trying to overdose my patient....hol' up." Chastity leaned into the computer's desktop, reading over the Nurse's Notes once more.

For some reason, the dosage seemed oddly high for age to weight ratio. Regardless, Chastity took down the information, deciding to compare and double-check while preparing the physical order.

Tonight's shift almost seemed too good to be true. Her workload was decent, especially since it was her first night back. Chastity wasn't overwhelmed with any half-done procedures in the last four days or lingering tasks from the day-shift nurses.

Hopefully, this would gift her some extra time to spend with Riah and Caleb. Those two are her youngest patients and they bring an unspoken joy to her twelve-hour shifts.

"Hey, Chas, you wanna pass me that chart with Robert's name on it? I'll truly appreciate it, sweet cheeks?" The obnoxious and silly voice felt like it was right on time. Chastity signed in at the nursing station only five minutes ago, which meant Julez was in perfect timing.

"You can't reach it, perv?"

"Nah, you got all this ass in the way. Just slanging every which a-way."

Chastity sighed deeply to keep from bursting into a laughing fit. "Just...here, Julez. Cause you really start," Shoving the folder over, Julez didn't even attempt to hold her hand out. She was more amused by her intrusive thoughts. "Sit way ova' there too." Chastity directed her.

Instead, Juelz took her usual and assigned seat, which was next to Chas. She removed a bag of Sour Patch Kids from the pocket of her scrubs. Silently asking her best friend if she would like to indulge in the sweet treat by jiggling the rolled-up bag.

"Candies for my sweet thang." Julez sang, winking playfully at Chastity. A few pieces wouldn't hurt, they would do enough running around to burn off the calories.

"No, because I told you I'm not eating all that junk food this late no more."

"Girl, a few pieces of candy ain't gon' hurt." Juelz reassured Chastity, but they both knew it would. That entire bag would be gone in five minutes. Which would leave Chastity rushing to the vending machine for 'something else sweet'.

Julez Pittman has been a TCRN at Mount Sinai for almost ten years. By now, she's classified as a veteran nurse. Chastity was her first work-shadow—a Heaven-sent experience for both ladies.

Chas met a woman who would become her second best friend in New York. While Julez was learning to move on from untrustworthy friendships in the past.

"I brought the luggage too, but I got this lil' piece of paper I need you to sign first, Miss. Mamas." Chas remembered while tossing back a few pieces of the sour candy. Thankful she had a water nearby.

"Chastity...I am not signing no damn leasing paper for bags, girl." Julez stated with an eye roll.

"Why not? You made me do it."

"Because you borrowed my air-fryer...that's completely different. My air-fryer was like three hundred dollars, boo."

"You're borrowing my Rimowa luggage set. Two of my carry-ons are almost fifteen hundred, bookie."