Happy family?

We both would have been sitting and gossiping about different things in a happy mood when his mother used to bring snacks, tea or biscuits etc. for us. Precious crockery sets, silk curtains, sofas and other mahogany furniture -- and the playful people who made the house a home, together formed the image of an ideal family. This is the family of my friend Naila, a "Happy Family". She had everything she needed. Every time I come, her mother treated me as if I am coming to her house for the first time. All the other members of her house would also smile. They include his father, elder brother and 2 sisters.

On the contrary, in my family there was always some front open. Sometimes between siblings and sometimes between father and mother. The house doesn't seem a home but a zoo or you may say it was a battle field. There were four rooms in total. One was used by three of us sisters and one was owned by both of my brothers. The third room belonged to mother and father and 4th as a store room. (our relatives were not so many and at night there were no stayers at all, so there was no problem from that side encountered).

Abu(father) was a government clerk. Mother a housewife, eldest sister then at second was I. The rest are one sister and two brothers respectively. As the brothers were young so father was the sole earner of the family. In this era when people of every class are breaking due to inflation, it was hard work, supporting a family of seven by the person with a small job. So these issues made him furious all the time and irritable.

I had a friend since sixth grade named Naila. We were in same class even in college. She was my one and only friend. I often visited her to avoid from Abu's quarrels. She lived in the area next to mine. Her parents knew my visit to their house without any prior notice, but they were treating me just like Naila.

Her siblings were also like that. They loved each other too much and after seeing them doing it, I feel to have a family who love each other and feel sorry for each other.
Today When I got home, I saw the grocery in the front porch. Mother used to make him a slip in the morning every month and father brought it when he returned at evening from his work. The things that were needed the most were brought. I saw mother put the food in front of Abu. He washed his hands and sat on dining table. As he took a bite, his facial expressions changed and he said,
"Too salty! Are you going to feed me poison?"

He lifted the bowl and threw it on the ground.

"Until today, you didn't learned to do anything in a better way."

He spoke loudly.

She apologized and took the dishes and put them in the kitchen. I entered my room and locking the door laid on my bed and closing my eyes. And hearing the loud voice outside. Ignoing the noise I was ready to imagine my own world, where these daily battles didn't existed at all.

When will peace be made in my house?

The next morning, Abu had breakfast as usual and went to work in silence, like every day I was still confused.

If every need of us is taken care of, then why is he not so gentle?

I started getting angry again.

Can't he talk with love or affection with his family?

Thinking that I entered the classroom. Naila was absent. She was never without notice. I felt weird without her. She was again next day and neither she came the next from that day. Worried, I visited her after almost a week when she still didn't came back to college. And I was shocked at the news I heard.

His father divorced her mother and married his secretary who was friend of her elder sister. His brother liked the same girl but after that he went abroad leaving the family and her sister shifted into a hostel when her family broke their ties with her. They thought it was her mistake that their father remarried and mother was divorced.

How could it happen? They were a loving and happy family. They cared for each other. A happy family was broken in a snap.

After condolences I came home.

"Ruby! Hurry up and get changed. I got a job as a school teacher. I ordered your favorite pizza today. Let's have it." Her eldest sister chimed happily with bright eyes and asked her to join them.

"I brought coke. Let's celebrate, my daughter got a job, in a university as a lecturer." It was my father who just entered after I, with a shopping bag in his hand. Yes, he was smiling brightly and mother setting the crockery on the table.

"Your father is just bitter. Otherwise he is good and love us. And families have to make a few sacrifices to be happy together - have to bear a lot. And to get more and we have to bear more. You have to be quiet in some places. If family has its roots rotten, how would it survive? And how coulda family be called a Family if it's members don't understand the situation of others? We should give him some time." My sister's voice was echoing in my head that she said to me when I was angry at father's behavior and was complaining.

The voice of my younger brothers brought me back as they started fighting.

"It was mine!" Shout the little one.

They became silent at Abu's stare, but after a while they started again in muffled voices. My younger sister was busy trying to reconcile them and mother was telling father something in a little voice he was listening to her attentively making small nods and uttering little words. As I looked at my eldest sister she smiled understanding trying to tell me she was right.

●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●°●

Author's note:
How was it??
Don't forget to comment and vote.