Chapter 1

"If you do your job well, the likelihood of any of you ever being kidnapped and held hostage should be slim." Lieutenant Heinlien walked away from her podium, picking up a stack of papers off her desk. "However, I would be remiss if I did not teach you what to do if the situation should ever arise."

Gaia Novair watched from her spot in the back corner as her classmates turned wary glances to one another.

"Your best chance of escaping is at the beginning," their teacher lectured while counting and distributing a stack of papers to the first person in each row. "Only attempt it if the situation is not too risky or life-threatening. If escape is not risky, and you are in a public place, make as much of a commotion to draw attention to you and your captors."

Gaia lurched forward to catch her paper as the girl sitting in front of her flicked it over her shoulder.

"Most likely you will be unconscious, whether by a drug or beaten." Discarding the extras back onto her desk, Lieutenant Heinlien continued talking as she moved behind her wooden podium. "However, if you are left conscious or come back into consciousness, it is best to follow your captor's instructions to avoid any bodily harm."

A hand shot up. She nodded for the student to ask his question.

"Why should we follow their instructions? We've all been trained to be capable fighters. Shouldn't we continue to fight back?"

"All except for Novair." The girl sitting in front of Gaia mumbled to her neighbor, who snorted in agreement.

"No." The brusque response had Gaia lifting her head up to catch as their teacher glanced around the room with one brow raised. "You do not want to antagonize your captors. If you don't succeed in getting away initially, do not keep fighting. Many seek justification for their actions. An ability to tell themselves they were acting in self defense if they were to seriously harm or even kill you."

Gaia looked around at the other students tilting to their heads towards one another, ignorant of their teacher also observing their mutterings.

A soft command of, "Students," ceased all talk.

With order restored, the students' attention was directed to the piece of paper she handed out. It was plain, straight forward like all of the other handouts they have been given during their Second Year Field Agent Seminar.

In addition to the notes she wrote along the margins, Gaia underlined the more important key phrases on the handout.

Be observant. Establish a rapport with your captors. Plan for a lengthy stay. Establish a daily routine.

"If, for some reason, your guard is down and you are caught unaware, you...." A ringing interrupted the lieutenant while simultaneously jolting many of the students from their slouched positions.

"We will continue this lecture tomorrow," she informed the students, but they were already shoving their belongings back into their backpack, determined to get out of the room. They packed up even faster than normal since this particular bell signaled the end of the school day.

Joining the rest of her classmates, Gaia slipped into the growing crowd of blue and red as students rushed to leave the monotonous, beige-stone building she personally thought resembled more like a prison.

"I thought I spotted a runt." The grating, feminine voice pierced through the raucous of the crowded hallway.

Gaia cringed, the insult only partially made sense. She might have been scrawny, but was sadly far from small. She had hoped to go unnoticed amidst the other students in their matching uniforms. Everyone wore the same type of light tan pants and black combat boots. Everyone had on the same navy blue jackets with the red cuffs and belt that cinched at the waist, designed to resemble the formal attire military officials wore when they weren't in the field. But unlike everyone else with their athletic frames from years of training, Gaia poorly filled her's out. So, it wasn't entirely a surprise that Valerie Malin spotted her amongst the sea of students.