𝟑. 𝑨 𝑹𝒖𝒅𝒆 𝑨𝒘𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈

𝐄𝐙 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐓

𝗡𝗘𝗪 𝗬𝗢𝗥𝗞, 𝗡𝗬  |  𝟸𝟶𝟷𝟾

Chastity found herself not entertained by the jamboree of events hosted for all of St. John's students. Since last Friday, the University has raved in anticipation of this year's homecoming.

Their mascot, Johnny Thunderbird, led with school spirit. Hyping students by gifting live performances, free food, and courtyard events.

Still, Chas wanted nothing more than her bed. Indulging in campus activities while her best friend Sammy was away, seems pointless also.

Taking a detour from her father's apartment building, Chas was on a quest for food. In such a rush this morning, she forgot the twenty dollar bills on the kitchen counter. So, there's eight dollars to find lunch with.

Now living in New York with her father Jamil, Chastity is learning to enjoy his usual elites. One thing for certain is a deli sub never disappoints. So for Chas, that meant a chopped cheese on a roll.

"Here ya' are, sweetheart." The worker behind the counter smiled while remembering her southern accent as Chastity ordered her sandwich.

"Thanks."

Heading over to the owner and cashier of the deli, Chas took a look around.

The gas station crooks in Boca Raton were nothing like the bodega hoodlums. There's always a crowd hanging. People arriving and leaving the delis, dice games, and more importantly—constant catcalling.

The bell on the front door sounded, announcing as Mr. Weirdo walked in. Chas should've counted down to the man's entrance. At least then, she could've proven herself right. The strange fella does the same routine every time she visits this deli. 

Busying herself, Chastity went ahead to retrieve her money from the front pocket of her high-waist jeans.

"Five-thirty for ya, beautiful,"

The front door opened again, but Chastity declined the kneejerk reaction to peek along with the attendant.

"Ay! What's up, EZ?" He called out.

Nothing came immediately after the greeting. Soon Chastity felt as someone approached her. Ezri's lanky frame seemed to tower over hers.

"What's good, Sunshine?"

"Hey, Erzi."

EZ's resting mug caved in as Chastity blushed at the personalized Florida nickname. The way his name rolled off her lips, left him with the same butterflies.

It's been years since he introduced himself as Ezri to anyone.

The clerk nodded his head upward to EZ to get his attention once more. His hand extended for Chastity's payment, but he wasn't paying her much attention.

"Ay, ock..lemme get some Bob Marley papers. I got ha' too," He also tossed a bag of M&M's on the counter, while the clerk retrieved the rolling papers.

An apparent question on the tip of her tongue.

𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑔? He's never paid for her things before — and this isn't their first encounter inside a store.

As if he sensed her apprehension, Ezri bent down to Chastity's ear. "I ain't gon' hurt you. I just don't like how he jackin' yo shit." The deepness of his mumbled words left Chastity still and quiet.