Chapter 1

Cassie

“Kate just messaged me. She wants to know if we wanna hit up the fair tonight since it's the last day and all.” I sat my cell back on the counter as I sautéed a few peppers and onions to go with dinner. “Oh yeah?” Alyssa peers up from her notepad with a raised eyebrow. “Thoughts?” She smirks. “Well it would be fun to blow off a little steam before finals.” I shrug. Truthfully, I want to go, but I would like us both to go. 

She nods, like she is toying with the idea. 

“Tell her yes. I wanna get out of this room before my eyes go crossed.” I laugh and send a quick message. 

Kate - Fair tonight? 
Cassie - We're in! 

The fall fair has been one of the best parts of living here. There's rides, food, barrel racing, and even a dog show. We always have such a good time, and tonight was no different. I ate my body weight in cotton candy and popcorn, and Alyssa forced me to go on every ride, even the tall, scary ones. 

By the time we got home, we were both pooped. I plugged in my phone and passed out the second I hit the pillow. 

Morning 

I've always been more of a morning person, I'm always up first and have on occasion had to pull Alyssa from her bed, but today, for some reason, we woke at the exact same time. It's a bit odd, but then again, it's finals week, so anything is possible. 

When I came into the living room of our shared domicile, she was dressed and put on her shoes. She looks up, her big blue eyes staring back at me as I sit down on the arm of the couch. “Morning.” She says, a little more zest in her voice than normal. “Off for a run?” I smirk. “Ha ha.” She grumbles. “I don't even run for ice cream.” 

“Well due to the fact that you are indeed lactose intolerant, I supposed ya shouldn't.” (Irish accent) She waves me away. “I am going to the corner store if you wanna come. I'm getting some study snacks.” Ohhh, I want some pineapple. “I'll grab my bag, oh, and get 2 green bags from the closet, we don't wanna be those people.” 

**** 

“Why is it that Sobeys is always so damn busy whenever we come here? It's like everyone randomly got the same idea we did.” Alyssa does not like crowds, and neither do I. All these people packed into one building make me feel like a sardine. “At least I was able to grab that last pineapple before that lady did.” I chuckle, recalling my great slide toward the cut fruit. One pineapple left, and it was mine. 

“Yes, you have to appreciate the small victories.” (Irish accent) Alyssa adds, swinging her bag of ginger ale and dill pickle Lays. “What else did you get?” She asks, peeking over at my bag. I hold it open. “Umm, chips ahoy, pineapple, and this energy drink.” She holds out her hand for the drink, and I pass it over. She squints her eyes to look at the label before passing it back. 

“So many chemicals!” She laughs, referencing the movie Baby Mama. “I function on chemicals.” I retort with a wide grin. “So what do you think Professor Barker will throw our way tomorrow?” At the same time as we walk, we step over a crack on the sidewalk, and as our feet land in unison on the other side, a whoosh of air passes through me. “What the hell was that?” Alyssa says. I look at her equally, confused. 

“Wind tunnel?” I shrug. “Weird place for it.” As we turn our heads to start walking again, I find I can't move. “I…I can't move.” I feel the panic rising in my chest. “Neither can I.” Her eyes wide as saucers, as she starts fighting with her limbs to move. I reach out for her hand to try and help each other, but as I reach out, we fall backward into nothing.