The beginning

Nanjing Imperial Palace in the Ming dynasty ,where the greatest rulers were born, stood bravely protecting its people as always. The 68 year old king Luzhang was still on the throne when his eldest carefree son , Prince Munako, was enjoying his life to the fullest.

Location- Eastern Palace
                   Prince Munako's residence

The laughter of maid girls was heard from the background.

"I can't wait till Prince Munako succeeds to the throne. He is meant to be a great king."

"Yeah, I think the same. He is flawless. I can look at his handsome face all day long."

"Have you seen him fencing (swardplaying) with Prince Feng?"

Prince Munako was the first born in the Royal family. He was born to Queen Daiyu, and Prince Feng was the son of the second queen consort Keixin.

"Oh! I have. He is always the best. He is fearless and fast. Prince Feng is no match for him."

So this is what they chit chat everyday. No wonder King Luzhang also favoured Munako. He was his favourite son. That indeed pricked queen consort Keixin's heart.  The flames of jealously kindled in her heart burnt young Prince  Feng's soul, making a foe out of him.

But it wasn't yet the time to react, so Queen Keixin waited in patience. So did Prince Feng.

The maids in the Eastern Palace always made fun of the maids in the Western Palace. Because that's where Prince Feng resided. A cold war was going between them.

Yuyan, who happened to be a maid in Prince Munako's Palace, was as happy as other maid girls in the Eastern Palace as she got to see the eye candy Prince,  Prince Munako to her heart's content.

She too fancy about him in secret. Seeing his face made her day. The maids in the Eastern Palace were always cheerful, punctual, and prideful than other maids for the same reason.

They looked after Prince Munako just as their own eyes and treated him with high respect.

But as the saying goes, " The good times do not last forever",  soon the misfortune was brought to the Eastern Palace with Prince Munako's ill health. No physian could diagnose his illness. All the royal physian's tried their best to cure him, but everything went in vain, making King Luzhang lose his hopes.

Seeing his favourite son in that state broke his heart. That brought him calamity at the age of 70, sinking the  hearts of citizens in the river of tears as they admired their beloved king. 

On the other hand, it was the golden time for the Western palace. They were rejoicing. Keixin's dreams were coming true. Now, her son has a great chance to sit on the throne.

It had just been a few weeks ,and Prince Munako's health was deteriorating rapidly. Soon, everyone around him scattered away just as they were taken by the wind. Even the maids didn't  put much effort into him. So did Yuyan.

She felt the difference in her heart. In earlier days, the maid girls fought with each other to get a chance to stay closer to him. But now there was no rush, as he no longer had the looks or the strength.

His handsome face had been haggard with the illness .  His skin had become pale, and his body had become frail. He barely could keep his head up. Not just his physical health,his mental health deteriorated too. He who was depressed with himself lost his appetite and lost his hopes for life. The dowager queen Daiyu,his mom, was the only one who actually cared of him.

Yuyan was actually a loyal maid of dowager queen Daiyu, who was later transferred to the Eastern Palace to serve her son. She was a young girl who was as  the same age as the prince.

Though she no longer fancy the Prince, she felt bad for both of them. The queen mother and the prince. When the Prince went into a coma blotting the last hope, Queen Daiyu almost lost her sense. Thanks to her loyal maids, including Yuyan, she got a hold of it.

Queen Daiyu wanted to cure her son somehow or other. She summoned physians from other kingdoms as well. But nothing was making a change.

The mourning period of King Luzhang was almost coming to an end. Soon, the royal court was supposed to name a successor to the throne, and their only hope was Prince Feng. Not to say, queen Keixin was out of the moon.

When Queen Daiyu's courage was almost washing away , Yuyan came to her one day.

"Queen mother, you brought me to the palace and brought me up like my own mother. I cannot see you in this state. If there is anything that I can do to ease your pain, I will do it. Tell me whatever it is."

Queen Daiyu, who was losing her hopes, looked at Yuyan. Seeing the faithful gaze in her eyes, she finally awakened her voice.

She let everyone outside her palace doors. Only Yuyan was kept inside with her. Then she strolled towards her and made her stand up from the ground. She held her from her hands.

"Yuyan! My child ,then do this favour for me. Take Prince Munako away from the palace and find him a physian who takes him in. Then I promise you, I promise you, I will grant any of your wishes."

She told her with tear filled eyes. Yuyan never thought she would request something like that, for everybody knew the prince could not be cured.

"Tell me you would do this. As I told you, I will grant you any of your wishes. "

She said, shaking her from her shoulders. But Yuyan was not quick to reply.

"I will.....I will free you from the maid position. I will let you leave the palace.So ...so that you can live as an ordinary girl. You can get back to your mother."

Queen further said. That was indeed a fair deal. Maids in the imperial Court were supposed to serve the kingdom life long. There was no way to get freedom unless a royal edict was declared. Now she is getting one. Yuyan didn't want to disobey. But she had a request to make.

"Okay, Queen, mother. I promise you I will do my best...."

Queen spirits were lifted up just hearing that.

"But what if....what if..."

Yuyan stammered before uttering that.

"But what if no physian took him in. What if he couldn't.....he couldn't make it............."

Queen Daiyu didn't let her finish. She was not ready to hear something like that, for she believed there was still a chance for her son. She was a mother, after all.

" How dare you utter something like that in your false mouth? How dare you?"

Yuyan had angered the queen mother. At once, she fell on her knees, asking for forgiveness.

"I never meant such a thing, my Queen. I never. I am as happy as you to see the prince live. Forgive me for I offend you. "

Finally, when her anger subsided, she came back to Yuyan. She asked her to raise from the ground. She let out a long sigh.

"If.....if you feel that way one day, then.....then act according to the Imperial will."

Imperial Will was kind of an oath that passed down from generation to generation.  It was a written will, and nobody knew what was in it. Nobody was supposed to read it beforehand. Only the royals knew what's inside it.

So the very same day Yuyan got the royal edict of her dismissal with the Frank of Queen mother ,as well as the Imperial will with the Lord Ming's Frank. Which was valid for an iternity as he was the first ruler of Nanjing Imperial Palace.

"After fulfilling the will, send me his ashes. Ashes of a King."

A tear rolled down Daiyu's cheeks.

Everything happened in a hurry, in secret. And the very night Prince Munako was sent out from the imperial Palace on a horse carriage. Yuyan was beside him as promised.

🪻🪻🪻🪻🪻🪻🪻🪻🪻🪻🪻