WHAT IS CITRIC ACID ANHYDROUS USED FOR IN FOOD?

What is citric acid anhydrous used for in food?

1. citric acid anhydrous is used as an acid flavoring agent. As the name suggests, citric acid is a type of "acid", and the meaning of acid here is the same as that in "sour, sweet, bitter, spicy, and salty". Therefore, citric acid is widely used as an acid flavoring agent. It is added as a souring agent in various beverages, candies, juices, jams, and canned foods, which can make the product sour, refreshing, and delicious, with a fruity sweetness. Citric acid itself exists in lemons and is a natural acidity agent. It can give beverages a fruity flavor and has buffering, antioxidant, solubilizing and other effects. At the same time, citric acid can promote metabolism and enhance appetite.

2. citric acid anhydrous serves as an antioxidant enhancer. People who have eaten apples should know that cut apples will soon undergo browning, which means they will be oxidized. Of course, using citric acid alone cannot prevent apples from being oxidized, but when it is combined with ascorbic acid, it can prevent apple browning. Citric acid is usually used as an enhancer to control the activity of phenolic enzymes and prevent browning. Anhydrous citric acid can be used as an antioxidant in edible oils. Adding citric acid can improve the taste of ice cream, increase emulsifying stability to prevent oxidation, and maximize the preservation of the flavor of ice cream. Adding citric acid to meat processing can remove fishy, odorous, and antioxidant properties.

3. The application of citric acid anhydrous as a buffering agent in food often encounters a challenging problem in vegetable and fruit processing. Due to differences in variety, place of origin, harvest period, and storage time, the acid content of different fruits and vegetables varies, which brings inconvenience to industrial processing. Therefore, citric acid can be used as an acidity regulator to control the acidity of the solution as needed and ensure product quality.

What is the food additive code for citric acid?

E330 is the number of food additives, representing citric acid.

Is citric acid an antioxidant?

Citric acid itself is a food additive and a strong antioxidant. After ingestion, it can fight against free radicals and has a certain reducing effect on pigmentation in facial areas. Moreover, citric acid is an acidic regulator that can improve the taste of food and eliminate some spoiled odors. After ingestion, it can promote intestinal peristalsis, accelerate the discharge of waste, lower blood pressure, lower blood lipids, and to some extent, have a weight loss effect. However, it should be noted that excessive intake may cause irritation to the gastric mucosa, so it is recommended to eat less.

Side effects of citric acid

Low intake of citric acid generally does not cause significant harm to the body. However, long-term excessive intake may induce gastrointestinal diseases, gastric perforation, and damage to the nervous system.

1. Gastrointestinal diseases

Excessive intake of citric acid may cause irritation to the gastrointestinal mucosa. In the long run, it may induce the occurrence of gastrointestinal diseases such as gastritis or gastric ulcers. At this time, under the guidance of a doctor, medication such as omeprazole enteric coated tablets and sucralfate tablets can be taken for treatment to alleviate discomfort symptoms.

2. Gastric perforation

If it is a large intake of industrial citric acid. Because industrial citric acid has strong acidity and is prone to corrosion, it may induce gastric perforation, leading to stomach pain or bleeding. Severe cases may require relevant surgical repair and other treatments.

3. Causing damage to the nervous system

If children consume a large amount of citric acid for a long time, as their neurological development is not yet complete, it may cause damage to their own nervous system, leading to neurological disorders and affecting normal physical development. This situation can be regulated by taking medications such as Gu Wei Su tablets and vitamin B12 tablets under the guidance of a doctor.

In addition, frequent and excessive intake of citric acid may also cause harm such as hand and foot seizures. So, excessive consumption is not recommended. If you experience discomfort after consumption, you should promptly go to the hospital for relevant examinations, clarify the cause, and receive targeted treatment.

source:  https://www.arshinefood.com/Industry-information/what-is-citric-acid-anhydrous-used-for-in-food