Set My Demon On Fire

6

After acquainting her with people, Maverick let Adeline be on her own.

Adeline quickly found herself a spot away from the limelight and looked out for Rebecca. Once she found him chit-chatting with some random guy feet away, she fished out her phone and texted her to come in the corner. Rebecca read the message, scanned the hall and was quick to find her. She excused herself but not before exchanging numbers. Adeline's lips pressed in a thin line as she shook her head while Becca sashayed toward her and winked as she reached close.

"Met your hottie?" She asked as soon as she reached her ear.

"Don't know about mine but you sure did," Adeline feigned a sly look. Rebecca mimicked her expressions with her warm hand brushing Adeline's arm as she repeated, "No, seriously, where's he? I wanna see that lucky motherfucker," Adeline gave her an off-limit stare which she understood.

"You are cussing a lot,"

"I am sober-drunk," Becca shrugged.

Adeline pulled in a breath and turned her glance at the audience. Her hesitation, long face and cold skin answered the question long before she opened her mouth. "He isn't here, couldn't come," She told her earnestly. Becca fixed her with a flabbergasted frown.

"Bullshit," She couldn't believe it. He must be here. He should be here. This party was organised for them to meet and see each other. "Don't tell me Mav told you this,"

"Dad did. He said Enrique had an emergency to tackle," Adeline cracked. Little did she know what that emergency could be.

"Tackle?" Becca asked her with a familiar look.

"That's what I heard," Adeline faked positivity but Rebecca could see right through the mask. The girl was hurt. She couldn't help feeling bad for Adeline. She had waited years to meet him, spent nights thinking about him and never even let a thought of another man cross her mind and here he left her without meeting her because an 'emergency' occurred. The explanation sounded bullshit.

"This is disrespectful. Can't believe he can be such an ass, could have sent somebody else or emergency do wait, I mean...pfft," Becca grumbled. Adeline panicked on her loud and blatant tone. They did attract a few eyes which Adeline confronted with an embarrassing smile.

"Lower your tone, Rebecca. This is not the place," Adeline chided in her ear.

"Fuck him. Let me introduce you to some other beefcakes," Becca pulled her ahead by arm. Adeline jerked her arm from Becca's hold and frowned offendedly.

"Stop getting a rise out of me here," She hissed.

"If he doesn't care, you shouldn't too," Becca retaliated. Adeline lowly fumed at her response. This girl was grating on her nerves. Only if she paid attention to the instructor, she would have known how dangerous it was to flirt with these men. The underworld never took this matter lightly. She didn't care what would happen if anybody caught them. Hell, she didn't care about her own dad's repute. The matrix was strict about women's behaviour. They expect them to act modest and meek. If not, then the circumstances become grave over their repulsion and they'd pay the price, sometimes their loved ones too. In this male-dominating society, only those women who pull up a conduct of empathy toward their family and inflexibility toward the face of death and rivals could be called a lady of honour, otherwise she was well-aware where their fate could lead.

"I am not allowed to look at strange men let alone meet them," Adeline set forth a reason.

"Come on, the least you can do is spare him a glance," Becca mumbled, looking at someone. She jutted her chin before sipping a drink that she wasn't supposed to be having, not at least here. "Look...that handsome hunk, yeah...that one," She kept on mumbling. Adeline sighed deeply and chose to dare a glance in her gaze's direction.