Not His, But Mine

26

First thing that occurred to her was her eyes opening wide and sweat covering her whole body. Her body jolted forward and her hand instinctively landed on her heart.

It was a wet nightmare.

She panted heavily. It took her a second to realise she was in her bed, alone. Her eyes hurriedly raked across the dimly lit room. The sunlight was filtering through the drapes, discerning it was still evening. Her gaze darted back to the clock. She took a two hour nap.

Huffing, she looked down on her wrists. They weren't tied. He wasn't above her either. She gulped dryly as she recollected the firm rage in his voice. Aggression was rolling off of him. That all felt too real and it was scary. It was indeed a horrific wet dream. His words were still ringing in her mind.

You have been a very bad girl.

She brought her fingers over the side of her neck where his lips moved. A goosebump rushed all over her body. She could still feel the texture of his lips against her skin. Those words sounded pretty promising but she couldn't understand why she felt it this way. What had she done to make him feel this way? Irene once told her when people reciprocate mutual feelings of love, they tend to create a spiritual bond and exchange their emotions abstractly. One could feel what the other was feeling. Which was why she couldn't understand why his energy was giving off such emotions. Did she make a mistake? wait...did the boss grumble him about this morning?

Her heart drowned immediately thinking that. Guilt filled her. She had no clue what had gotten his boss to act like that. What did she possibly do to irk him? She let out another deep sigh and turned on the lamp.

Now, she was hundred percent sure he must have kicked up a storm about it.

Her attention diverted to the quilt that was above her burning body. She rolled it away and strode to the bathroom, but before she could reach inside, a knock on the door grabbed her ears.

"Yes?" She turned to the door and it opened, revealing a girl of her age.

"Signora, i bambini la stanno aspettando," The house-help—whose name was Daisy—spoke in a small tone. (Madam, the kids are waiting for you)

"Can you repeat it for me in English, I don't speak Italian," She told her as she smiled and stepped toward her. The girl reminded her of Irene's niece who came to meet her once but never again due to her father's objection. Her eyes and hair were the same. She mistook her as that girl at first sight.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that," Daisy's expressions paled a little.

"It's alright," Adeline lightly grabbed her hand and assured her.

"The kids are waiting for you. You said you wanted to meet them," Daisy reminded her in a mindful tone. Adeline dumbfoundedly blinked until the bulb in her mind lit.

"Oh, yes, yes. They are here?"

Adele had her lunch with the staff because of the incident that happened this morning. Talking with them got her to know that three of the women were married and two had numbers of kids. She expressed her excitement and insisted they bring them over since it had been long she didn't play with the kids. They told her they had to ask for permission from the sottocapo. Apparently, her request was approved and they were here in a matter of a few hours.

"Yes, they are downstairs, ma'am," Daisy told smilingly.

"Adele," Adeline corrected.

"I'm sorry?" Daisy reflected.