Chapter One

"Marybeth, George, Wilson, and Henry!! Down to the cellar! I see the boys coming into town!" Father yells and pushes us into the cellar. "But father, won't they need some food and supplies? Mother and I can get some things around." I say as I look at mother, who nods her head in agreement.

"I want my family safe. Not helping in this war." Father says as he latches the cellar door. As soon as he sits down on the dirt floor, someone is trying to pry open the door.

"Let me in! We need food!" A man says, unlatching the door. "There you are! We searched the house high and low. Would you be willing to bake us some bread and bring us some water from the well?" The man in a union uniform asks, as another solider is standing behind him, guarding him.

"I suppose that should be fine. As long as the rebels don't find out." Father says, motioning for mother and I to go upstairs and begin cooking.

"Thank you so much." The man says and father nods his head at him, as he closes the door behind mother and I.

"The boys and I will be ontop of this hill, straight ahead by the cemetery." He says, running back to his men. "What is your name soldier?" Mother yells as he runs away. "My name is Joseph!" He yells as he's catching up to the line.

Mother and I go back into the house. Baking bread, biscuits, and we even have some apples from our trees out back. Mother and I grab all of our supplies and head that way, towards the hill. It is getting darker out, no fighting is happening.

Mother and I walk up to the men, and everyone is so excited. "Thank you maam this is amazing!" "Thank you! This is so much better than our hard tack." "Thank you this tastes like heaven." They say in excitement.

Joseph comes over, taking the last piece of bread. "Thank you ladies. This has been a honor we usually don't get things like this." "You're very welcome Joseph." Mother says, picking up the baskets and pitchers. I smile at him and begin walking away.

"Wait! What's your name? I would like to thank you properly." Joseph smiles, grabbing my hand.

"My name is Marybeth." I smile and blush. "Well, Marybeth, thank you and your mother for this. It's much appreciated." Joseph smiles, a twinkle in his green eyes. "You're welcome, Joseph. Be safe out there." I smile and he nods his head and I begin walking back to my home.

I hope you stay safe Joseph.