Chapter 54: Survival of the fittest

**PVO: Clayton**

"Boss!"

I shouted as I saw the boss get hit by the snake. For a moment I froze. The great, undefeated boss was injured.

If it's impossible, it must have been just a small hit. 'If the boss is strong, something like a small blow wouldn't do anything to him,' I repeated to myself, convinced. I continued the work entrusted to me by the boss, and as his right-hand man, I could not fail in his order.

I held one end of the net and channeled mana before flinging it towards the snake. My companions did the same, catching it. After a while, I saw it desperately fighting for its life and although it broke a few nets the sheer amount made it give up in the end and slowly fell asleep. 'Hum, another job well done,' I thought, happy to have completed my task.

But when I turned to my companions, I saw them running towards the boss. 'Oh, the boss!' I had forgotten him for a moment and joined them. As I got closer, I saw something I didn't expect, the boss was badly wounded, with blood coming out of his head and other parts of his body I also noticed that the blood was black,

'No, it can't be. I've seen the boss kill bigger things than that snake. It's impossible for him to get hurt.' I approached, unable to believe my eyes.

'Boss, are you okay, what's wrong?' I couldn't believe the boss was defeated like that. At that moment, with the others surrounding the boss while giving him potions, I heard footsteps behind.

The guy who fought along with the boss and the other boss was approaching. I saw the others get on their guard. They didn't think highly of him. I also got in their way to defend the boss.

"Calm down, I don't want to hurt them. Only, being only three stars, a blow from such a powerful beast can be dangerous. Take this to treat your leader, it is more powerful than the one you are using, and it can treat poison" he said, throwing me a green vial. Immediately, I was going to give it to the leader, but Chris stepped in and took the vial and then threw it away.

"What are you doing? We have to cure the boss. Why did you throw the potion away?" I asked Chris, confused and angry.

"It's poison," Chris said with a serious face. I couldn't believe what he said for a moment, but Chris knows the most about potions. Even the boss praises him for that. I couldn't believe he almost poisoned the boss. If Chris wasn't...

"Why did you want to poison the boss!" I yelled at the guy who gave me the poison.

"Damn, you guys still ask dumb questions in this situation. I didn't think anyone among you could tell potions apart. tch I thought laughing as they watched their leader writhing in pain. You know, this is one of my favorite poisons, if he's going to die anyway let me stall until the end" said the guy, spitting on the ground, frustrated.

At that moment I felt very angry of what that guy was saying I wanted to hit him with my mallet on the head, but before I could do anything, for some reason he calmed down and went back to having an arrogant face.

"Well, children, as your superior in terms of being adventurous, I will give you one last lesson: (never trust people easily). I hope this lesson will serve you well in the next life."

Saying that, he drew his sword and ran towards us. I prepared for battle, stepping in front with my shield. I parried his blow. The guy got angry when he saw that I blocked his attack and started attacking me many times, but that doesn't compare to when I practice with the boss.

My hands go numb after a hit, but I didn't feel anything when this guy hit my shield. I didn't need to attack because the boss told me that when I'm in a group I only have to defend.

Just as I thought, I saw from the side a spear heading for the man's side, but the man noticed it in time and was able to block it. I saw how he deflected the spear upwards, a serious mistake. Eirlys, the owner of the spear, gripped it tightly and red flames surrounded it.

Taking advantage of the spear's position, she performed the elemental knight's first stance and with a downward strike, she cut the guy, giving him a deep wound in the chest and knocking him out.

The place fell silent. The other adventurers and the other chief looked at us in surprise. The boss had told us that even though we were two stars, we could defeat about three stars if two of us fought together and we could hold our own if we fought face to face.

Although he told me that I couldn't defeat or even withstand more than two hits from the boss who was a three-star, but now that I saw Eirlys so easily defeat that guy who supposedly had the same rank as the boss, I was filled with confidence. 'I have to protect the boss.'

The boss is the only person who allowed us to survive without suffering a lot, the boss was the first person who taught me that not everything is solved with force, when we are starting the gang I was the boss the strongest but the one who was only my assistant gave me ideas and made our companions survive.

he taught us how to really survive and he was always right in doing things so i gave him the job and he became the real boss and i don't regret doing it. even now, he allowed us to live like the rich ones. I even got a big room for myself alone, but the boss who was now also the strongest since we woke up this wounded It's my turn as his subordinate to fight.

At that moment, suddenly, more people appeared and did not hide their presence. They emitted the same aura as the boss and the other boss, who are three stars. I became a little nervous.

That's when, Eirlys, who never speaks, took over. "Clayton, keep the leader busy. Walter, Nora, Tom, take care of one three-star each. Misha, Yuki, Roi and Chris, help me get rid of the rest."

That reminded me of the time we fought those dog heads. At that time, we were being attacked by those things and I couldn't do anything but fight.

Eirlys, who doesn't talk much and is always quiet, started to order us around and we were able to survive thanks to her. Also, the boss told us to follow his orders when he wasn't around.

I'm supposed to be the boss's right-hand man, but I can only fight, I can't be like her. But I will not stand back and prove that I am the boss's real right-hand man. I followed what he asked me to do and faced the other boss.

I stood in front of him and began to fight him. His blows were stronger than the poison guy's, but not as strong as the boss'. I blocked all his attacks and took every moment to counterattack as the boss taught me.

In my other hand I had a spiked mallet. The boss told me to choose the weapon that suited us. I didn't understand what a weapon that suits me looked like, so as the boss asked, I kept handling different weapons until I felt which one was cooler to use.

In the end, I was left with a sledgehammer and the shield. I tried to hit him, but I was too slow and dodged it He also tried to hit me with his sword, but I blocked him again. No matter how hard I try, I can't hit him. He is too fast.

At that moment I remembered that The Boss told me, since I had awakened the earth element, plus I was good at using shield, to put my stats on defense and vitality.

So I did, but there was a problem that now has me in this situation.

'next time I should wait for the boss to finish talking' I reminded myself why the boss was always right, as I watch the guy dodge more of my blows.