Chapter 20 | Among the trees there's a pair of eyes

Snow and trees. Those were the only things Alexander could see as he quickly walked towards the town. His head was hurting from thoughts. Why would the police look for him? Maybe killing that policewoman was a bad decision? When he saw the fence of his backyard his heart started beating faster. He left Mary alone and that's something he hated doing. What if anything bad happened to her while he was away? He finally stopped walking on the sidewalk in front of his house. The street was empty so it didn't take long to notice the police car in front of Stefan's house. The man was standing next to it and waving at him. Alexander quickly walked up to him and asked:

"Do you know what's going on?"

"No" Stefan replied. "They want to talk. I know no more."

"Alright" they went inside and that's when two police officers caught his attention.

One of them took out his notebook and asked:

"Officers Karlson and Flick. Are you Alexander Casmid?"

"Yes" Alexander replied. "Stefan told me that you wanted to ask me a few questions."

"That's correct" the second officer said. He was tall and skinny while his colleague was short and obese. A great gym advertisement. "Do you know why we're here professor?"

Alexander had no clue.

"I'm sorry, but I have no idea" he replied.

The fat officer sighed and started to note Casmid's responses.

"Do you remember when we visited you on October 18th?"

The man thought for a second and then it hit him. Jackson!

"I remember that you questioned me about Jackson Smith... I heard that he woke up from his coma."

The tall policeman nodded.

"We have a reason to think that you were the one who sent him into this coma."

"Excuse me, but can I ask what made you think that?"

"You had some things you could have hurt him for" the fat policeman answered. "From what we know you were mad at him for the gossip he spreaded around the town. Also, you could be jealous of Mary Reynolds."

"We had a lot of bad blood between us, but..."

Alexander's response was interrupted by his phone ringing. It showed a call from 'Pumpkin❤️'. He picked up quickly and heard his girlfriend's shaking voice.

"Alex... come back please... there's somebody outside!"

He got pale and dizzy. He was only gone for a while!

"Hide" the man ordered her. "I'm on my way."

"I locked myself... in the bathroom... Please help me!"

"It's okay" he assured her. "Stay calm and quiet, everything is gonna be fine."

He hung up and started to quickly put his jacket on.

"I'm sorry officers, I have an emergency" he tried excusing himself.

"We'll go with you, professor" officer Karlson stood up.

***

After twenty minutes they were outside the cabin. They saw a silhouette looking inside through the window. When the person saw Alexander and the police he started running away, deeper into the woods. Skinny and tall officer Karlson ran after them. Casmid opened the door and went inside.

"You're safe, pumpkin. It's me" he said loudly.

Mary slowly opened the bathroom door and when she saw her boyfriend she hugged him tight and started crying.

"Don't worry" he whispered. "Nothing will hurt you when I'm around."

"I got him Flick" the radio on officer Flick's shoulder started talking. "You won't believe it."

"Coming" the fat policeman replied and left the cabin.

Alexander helped Mary put on her coat and shoes and they went outside too. That's when the officers brought a young man, handcuffed and bent over with his long, black hair swinging on the sides of his head. He was swearing and trying to make the officers let him go. Casmid wrapped his arm around Mary as she started crying again. Officer Karlson held the boy strong and started questioning him:

"Mr. Smith, what's the purpose of you being here?"